Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Quick help - food/allergy advice for travellers to UK

(10 Posts)
phdlife Mon 15-Jun-09 05:14:33

My niece is coeliac and nut allergic, and she will be in the UK for a couple of weeks. Does anyone know of a cereal she can have? Must not contain even traces of nuts, she is off-the-scale anaphylactic to them.

TIA

CMOTdibbler Mon 15-Jun-09 11:31:08

It pains me to say this, but the Gillian McKeith quinoa, buckwheat or amaranth cereals all seem to be declared as gluten and nut free. I can't find any others that don't have a 'may contain trace' warning on them

phdlife Mon 15-Jun-09 12:39:43

thanks CMOT, do you have packages handy?

apparently she's also anaphylactic to carboxymethylcellulose (and no I don't know what it is either!)

CMOTdibbler Mon 15-Jun-09 13:05:14

Full ingredients list here - click on the nutrition tab if it doesn't go there itself

trixymalixy Mon 15-Jun-09 14:06:22

this?

tatt Mon 15-Jun-09 17:46:08

I don't eat cereal much myself - why doesn't she have a good English fry-up if she's satying in a hotel? If she skips the sausages it'll be gluten and nut free.

Some Sainsburys rice or corn cereals (cornflakes, rice krispies) are said to be suitable for coeliacs, although they contain barley. I know some are nut free. Coeliac list on Sainsburys website or cut and paste here http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres/FA6557B8-F09B-4D33-A2E4-1AC587BB322E/0/CoeliacListJan2009fi nalonlineversion.pdf

Or if she's staying with you Sainsburys sell rice cakes that are gluten and nut free and she can have a boiled egg. Health food stores sell buckwheat flour and that makes great panackes.

phdlife Tue 16-Jun-09 11:37:15

tatt she's 12, she does eat normal food (like fry-ups) but cereal is her preferred snack, 95 times a day!

thanks for tips, all.

tatt Tue 16-Jun-09 16:33:44

oh - how about Sainsburys gluten free jaffa cakes, from the free from area for snacks? Not as healthy as cereal though grin. I bought Athena dried apricots because I was so pleased to see some without a nut warning but can't remember where I got them.

Also its nut free do a nut free popcorn or Butterkist microwaveable butter and sweet flavours are also nut free (but not other Butterkist products). Looks expensive but you get 4 big bags and went down well with the gluten free teenager who visits here. (and also with the non gluten free teens, good thing they were large bags).

Although I haven't tried them myself these http://www.urbanfreshfruit.com/ are also nut free and I'm told you can get them in Asda.

athomeagain Tue 16-Jun-09 22:18:17

Tatt some of the urban fresh fruit are they have changed their labelling!!

phdlife Wed 17-Jun-09 12:22:32

thanks for the popcorn tip tatt, will pass it on.

so weird last night - I dithered about ringing dsis's PILs to tell them about the cereal - it was waaaay past my bedtime and I was knackered, but really wanted to help my dsis so finally went and rang - turned out they had literally just walked in the door from airport. Heh. At least the flight went ok - big stress for my sister, being on a plane with her dc's.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now