Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

allergy advice on clothing.....something I cannot avoid as is a costume

(11 Posts)
psychomum5 Sun 14-Jun-09 13:44:01

is there something I can put on to DD3's skin in a couple of weeks to prevent her having a major flare up on stage during a dance??

she seems to be allergic to the costume they have made her, and as it is a costume that all the girls have to wear, obviously I cannot put her into something different, or expect everyone else to change (IYGWIM).

I can give her piriton obviously, but she has that daily anyway die to hayfever, and she still reacted to the costume around her neck and arms.

she is only wearing it for 3mins, but when you need to itch, 3 mins can be eternity......and she needs to dance, not stratchwink.

TIA

EldonAve Sun 14-Jun-09 13:46:30

you can give zirtek on top of piriton

what about applying a barrier cream of some kind?

misdee Sun 14-Jun-09 13:48:22

cotton underwear beneath it?

is she reacting to the rubber/elastic bindings? or is it just a scratchy costume?

CoteDAzur Sun 14-Jun-09 13:52:01

What I have done in such circumstances throughout school life was to wear something else underneath - a t-shirt with a slightly raised neckline, for example, should do the trick.

Anti-histamines are different than analgesics (painkillers) - more painkillers mean tolerance to higher levels of pain but more anti-histamine pills doesn't mean tolerance to more and more allergens.

psychomum5 Sun 14-Jun-09 13:52:19

it is a rubber-type costume. it is actually made into a rainmac, and she has her dance leotard underneath, hence her neck and arms being the bits exposed.

will she be ok on tow lots of antihistamine?? can;t have her go drowsy...that won;t help the dancing eitherwink

HelloBeastie Sun 14-Jun-09 14:06:11

Do you think it could be a latex allergy?
Worth thinking about, because if so it should go in her medical notes... (IMO! I'm not a doctor)

CoteDAzur Sun 14-Jun-09 14:23:54

pscyhomum - As I was saying earlier, doubling up on antihistamine dose will not help too much. You can't double-block histamines.

Put a discrete scarf on her neck. Wrap the bits of her arms that touch the costume in cellophane. Just cut off the contact and she will be fine.

CoteDAzur Sun 14-Jun-09 14:23:55

pscyhomum - As I was saying earlier, doubling up on antihistamine dose will not help too much. You can't double-block histamines.

Put a discrete scarf on her neck. Wrap the bits of her arms that touch the costume in cellophane. Just cut off the contact and she will be fine.

psychomum5 Sun 14-Jun-09 14:40:07

cote, would love to, but I can't make her costume look any different to the other girls....when there are 30 girls in the dance, one looking different would look odd (IYGWIM).

so, no extra antihistamine, thats fine, I assumed it would be that.

latex allergy, <<eek>>, will have to get her referred for proper testing again then me-thinks<<argh>>.

hmm.....would rubbing her with vasaline in the exposed bits help??

CoteDAzur Mon 15-Jun-09 08:23:39

I doubt vaseline would help. You could of course give it a try - there might be some placebo value to it.

Worst would probably be the neck. Can you find a t-shirt with a slightly raised neck of the same color as the costume? I think that is your best bet and it wouldn't be obvious at all, especially from a distance, as spectators will see her on stage.

That is what I did throughout school, whenever I had to wear cheapo costumes, most of which were cut with nylon which I am allergic to. Never could wear any stockings either, until my twenties when microfibre came out.

psychomum5 Mon 15-Jun-09 13:01:42

thanks cote.

not too sure TBH. will have to go ask the dance teacher if it would look too odd.

at you never being able to wear stocking for so long. thank goodness they do improve fabrics!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now