Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Nan-ha Nestle baby formula??

(20 Posts)
carbooty Fri 12-Jun-09 20:52:49

Hi everyone,

I went to the allergy show today and managed to speak to a lady (Dietician) from the BDA (British Dieticians Association) about what formula to feed my baby due in 4 weeks.

Just to recap, my first DD had a cows milk allergy until she was one, but I BF until then. This baby will have to have a formula sadly from the get go, and I was not sure it is correct or the right thing to expose the baby right away.

So anyway the Dietician lady recommended I use Nan-ha, which I have never heard of, and haven't found any posts about it either. Have any of you had any experience of it??

Incidently, I also talked to a senior nurse from guys and St Thomas, and she has recommended I try a cows milk formula right at the start.

I am due to see a local Dietician at 38 wks, Just hope baby doesn't come early wink

CB
x

BlueBumedFly Fri 12-Jun-09 23:28:01

bumping for you xx

Babieseverywhere Fri 12-Jun-09 23:32:17

Why not try reposting in the Breast and Bottle Feeding Board maybe someone will have more information for you there.

I must be missing something here, will your next baby be likely to have a cow's milk allergy like your first child or something different ?

FairLadyRantALot Fri 12-Jun-09 23:34:19

sorry...but don't quite know your history, so, please don't take this the wrong way, but why does you next Baby have to have formula straight away...is elimination diet for yourself not an option...if you would prefer to bf, I mean...

carbooty Sat 13-Jun-09 08:41:45

Sorry I should have posted a more thorough explaination.

We don't know if baby #2 will have milk allergy until exposed, it is not a given.

I can't bf this time due to preventative mastectomy. It has been suggested that baby #2 will have a high chance of being allergic, due to DD1's cows milk allergy, and me being atopic?. The information I have read suggests introducing allergen before a baby's immune system can cope, could trigger more allergies or make reactions more severe. My GP doesn't support that theory, and will not prescribe expensive hypo milk until a reaction is seen. I feel more confident exposing baby after speaking to the nurse at Guy & St Thomas allergy clinic though.

The Nan-ha milk is partially hydrolysed and sounds like a good half way house, as it is affordable too. If baby still reacts then I can have Nutramagen on prescription. But have never heard of this milk, or partially hydrolysed??

I would like to get something sorted as time is running out, and I need to have something to feed my baby. Hopefully I will get past 38 weeks, and have seen the dietician and will have an answer before I give birth.

Allergies are such a mine field, and still so little is understood it is very frustrating. My DD1 although doesn't react to much these days (thank god), she reacts to really obscure things, with a rash round her mouth crying her throat hurts, so I give her Piriton. She has never seen anyone about it, but I may pursue this soon as she starts nursery in Sept.

Thanks for reading.

FairLadyRantALot Sat 13-Jun-09 09:20:25

Oh right...hmm...not heard of the formula neither...defintely also try on bf/ff board....

but hope for you, that you can meet with the diatician before Baby # 2 is born...best of luck!

bridewolf Sat 13-Jun-09 15:33:15

is it possible that she is talking about nanna goats milk?

if thats the case, i wouldnt recomened it.

I would go for getting info from State registered dietian. someone connected to the nhs and is aware that for hygeine reasons, ( not passing safety tests) that nanny goats milk is banned from prescription.

just because one child is allergic, it doenst mean the next will be. you can go for a partially changed cows milk formula.

there are options out there.

tutu100 Sat 13-Jun-09 15:51:15

I think Nestle Nan-ha is a brand sold abroad, I don't think you can get it in this country. I would wait for your appointment with the Dietician and try not to worry (which I know is easier said than done).

When ds2 was 4 weeks old he had some health problems and one of the things they suspected was a dairy allergy. He is bf so I had to do an exclusion diet. Anyway I know you can't do that, but the doctors we saw at the time told me they really only prescribe dairy free formula if they have to because there are other problems linked with diary free milks so they only like children to have them if there is no other option.

Ds2 didn't have a dairy allergy btw but one of the reasons they thought he might was because of the excema and allergies both my partner and I have.

ilovemydogandmrobama Sat 13-Jun-09 15:52:02

The main hypoallergenic formulas are Nutramigen and Neocate. It is possible to get them over the counter, but expensive.

Could you ask your GP to prescribe it, and then slowly introduce cow milk formula gradually? Seems to me that that you have legitimate concerns and believe that allergies to cow milk for subsequent children is higher.

carbooty Mon 15-Jun-09 19:50:05

Hi all,

And thanks for your responses.

Bridewolf, Nana-ha is not a goats milk. Just a regular Partially hydrolysed cows milk, so think it should be okay in that sense.

I think I am slowly coming round to the idea of trying a regular first, in hospital where I should! hmm get the help I need should a reaction present itself. The nurse at Guys & StThomas peadiatric allergy clinic deals with issues like this everyday, and she recommends trialing baby.

Found out today that baby is breech, so they are going to try and turn the baby next Mon, which I am told could cause the baby to arrive early. So will try and speak to dietician early, or see if the hospital has an infant feeding advisor I could go and talk to.

Again thanks for your input.

Pitchounette Mon 15-Jun-09 19:58:59

Message withdrawn

broguemum Mon 15-Jun-09 20:13:14

We used NAN HA for DD from around 4 months onwards. She was OK on it although it turns out that she has an egg allergy (which caused appalling colic if I ate egg products) and now she has eczma too (sp?). We live in Luxembourgh and NAN HA appears to be a v. popular choice here. We chose it on the recommendation of DD's pediatrician.

mabcp Mon 22-Jun-09 08:17:24

Hi Carbooty,

I live in Australia at the moment and on the 03 April this year had a beautiful baby girl. I tried to no avail to bf but was incredibly unsuccessful, so since my daughter was 4 days old she has been on the formula NAN HA and she is incredibly healthy, growing well, poohing well and her paed can't sing her enough praise. He was also the one to recommend we bottle feed and this particular brand.
I came across your discussion on the internet because we are moving to London in two months and my biggest dilemma is wether I will be able to get this formula when I come to London? Can you let me know where you think I can find it?

Many thanks
and best of luck

Mabc

carbooty Tue 23-Jun-09 21:37:19

Hi mabc,

Thanks for your reasuring message. I ordered it very easily through my local chemist (Lloyds Pharmacy) and it arrived the following morning. It cost £10 for a 900g tin. I am sure you could do some shopping round and find somewhere (maybe boots) who always have it in stock, and may have it cheaper?!?

Hope your move goes well and please let me know if I can help any further.

CB
x

rtm Tue 30-Jun-09 09:42:30

Hi

Can you please let me know which Lloyds Pharmacy did you get it from...

My son was on NAN-HA product (1 and now on 2) for the last two year, and my local chemist normally order this.. This week they told me that they are no longer able to get this product.

Thanks

RTM

carbooty Tue 30-Jun-09 16:43:58

Hi RTM,

I bought mine from my local Lloyds in Milton Keynes, but should think it is a product fairly widely available?? Have you tried anywhere else? They looked it up in a book and then the pharmacist phoned the order though.

Hope this helps?

carbooty Mon 06-Jul-09 16:38:58

Hi ladies,

Just wanted to post an update on my situation. We saw the local NHS dietician and she was lovely. Very supportive!!

She doesn't think it is right to introduce a milk based formula in such an unsupervised manner. I will be starting the baby on Nan-ha 1, which is partially hydrolysed, and much cheaper to buy than Nutramagen or Neocate. She said that the baby is no more likely to react to Nan-ha, and is an more affordable option while I have to buy it. Then once the baby is here we are going to trial the baby on cows milk formula in hospital for a couple of hours a day for a week to test if allergic.
I am so much happier now I have proper advice and a plan of action, plus the comfort of knowing if my baby does get sick I am already in the system.

She also talked to me a little about doing a plan of what to introduce and when we start weaning - so know I have the help longer term too!!

A real revelation, after all the fighting with GP and Midwife!! So just to say to anyone in a similar situation to insist!!

Baby due now, so just waiting.

Thanks for all your advice ladiesx

carbooty Tue 07-Jul-09 16:37:23

FAO: mabc and rtm,

I realised today that the tin of NAN-HA I bought a few weeks ago was already out of date so took it back to Pharmacy to complain. I have since found out the reason is due to them running down old stock as Nestle are not making it anymore. They have stopped it due to dwindling sales as of May 09.

My dietician has suggested Nutramigen for the time being, but this costs £13 for a 400g tin. Thankfully for me I will have a supervised trial shortly after baby is born so won't have to buy it for long.

Boots also seem to have some stock, but I don't think it can be a long term solution. You may have to see your GP for a referal to a dietician.

CB x

MazzieStar Tue 06-Oct-09 20:04:52

Hi everyone, after trawling the internet as to where I may possibly be able to purchase nestle good start, the only nan ha formula I know of, I eventually e:mailed nestle as £23 shipping from the US was not an option!
They replied and said that they don't sell it in the UK due to the ban I guess.
I am reading that you all seem to be able to get hold of Nan ha, where can I get it? I'm desperate as my lo is dissappearing under red eczema

FiveBells Wed 07-Oct-09 09:32:43

Nan Ha is widely available in Australia, I used it with my DS from birth, as advised by the hospital, as he was deemed to be at higher risk of allergies and excema (due to his parents' rotten genes grin). It was great, I would recommend it. I have not bought it online, but a quick search turned up this site which sells it, and ships to 'Rest of the World'. The UK Pound is stronger that the Australian dollar, so you might find it more affordable than the US?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now