Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Non-drowsy hayfever relief. What do you use?

(6 Posts)
LastOrders Thu 11-Jun-09 11:30:50

Please recommend to me what you use, as I'm having a hell of a time this year and am incredibly drowsy. (Went back to bed twice during the day yesterday sad)

I've tried Loratadine from the Doctors, I'm now on Lloyds pharmacy Cetirizine 1 a day tabs, but both make me zombified.

What could you recommend?

And has anyone tried that infared thing that Lloyds are selling at the moment?

Thanks smile

12StoneNeedsToBe10 Thu 11-Jun-09 11:35:41

Claritine (sp?) always worked for me and never made me feel even slightly sleepy.

ThingOne Thu 11-Jun-09 11:41:41

I use cetirizine (1 a day). My DH uses acrivastine (more a day). I've been taking mine for 18 months. Maybe you just need to get used to one? Maybe it's something else making you drowsy - like the hayfever itself? My allergies aren't generally too bad as long as I keep the lid on. My DH's are worse and he has had to go to bed a few times because of the hayfever (or dust, his other thang).

Have you talked to your GP since you got the loratadine?

Not tried the infared thing. I talked to the pharmacist about it last year and she swore it was evidence-based!

kittycats Thu 11-Jun-09 22:55:12

i use cetirizine one a day but am so sleepy ive had to leave work early.

The loratadine made me feel really wierd, had to stop taking them.

LastOrders Fri 12-Jun-09 09:40:35

I'm glad to hear that someone else is suffering the effects of cetirizine too.

I don't think non-sufferers realise how wearing it is.

I feel like I've not slept in months!

Paupy Fri 12-Jun-09 09:44:39

I never would have thought it before I tried it, but I've found homeopathic remedies really useful this year as pregnancy has placed my normal drugs off-limits. There are a range of remedies available depending on what symptoms you have, so you need to talk to a homeopath to find which one might be right for you. They take longer to work than remedies, but there's no drowsiness and they're cheap too (I paid just over £4 for a bottle of Nux Vomica a couple of months ago, take it daily and am only about 1/3 of the way through it).

Otherwise, I find Rhinocort nasal spray is the only thing that stops the sneezing / itching symptoms. It's also drowsiness-free, but is steroid-based, so only available on prescription.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now