Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

milk and egg allergy

(14 Posts)
HJH Tue 10-May-05 09:47:38

we have just found out that my daughter has a severe allergy to all dairy products.

she has just been featured in our local paper requesting that supermarkets do more to help. i am wanting to have an allergy free aisle put into every supermarket nationwide as standard.

i have had a number of phone calls suggesting that this request is unwarranted.

your opinions would be greatly appreciated

starlover Tue 10-May-05 09:58:33

our sainsburys has a reasonably large allergy free section... so see no reason why they all shouldn't!

my cousin is allergic to dairy and gluten and we often find lovely stuff in sainsburys.

I would have thought that supermarkets would benefit from having all allergy-free products in one place so that people can find them

bobbybob Tue 10-May-05 10:06:39

What would be helpful would be a website for the UK like this one

manufactured food database

I actually find it more useful if the allergy free stuff is kept with it's similar allergy containing cousins. I like the fact that I can go to the biscuit aisle and buy ds's special biscuits, and he can see that they are real biscuits like everyone else eats.

starlover Tue 10-May-05 10:08:07

that's a good point actually bobbybob... do you think that products should be highlighted within the aisles though?
like, the organic meat is always on a green shelf in tesco... they could do a similar thing for allergyfree foods

bobbybob Tue 10-May-05 10:12:32

Yes to the marking thing - One supermarket here does a bright arrow with "gluten free" or "egg free" pointing at the product. Usually only when it's new though.

HJH Tue 10-May-05 10:14:05

i agree with that suggestion having the allergy free foods highlighted would make my life alot easier!!

rummum Tue 10-May-05 10:15:38

I would like all manufactures to list their products as .... Dairy free, Egg free, Gluten free etc... this would save a lot of effort in checking ingredients....

Son was diagnosed as being allergic to dairy, egg and nuts at just over 2 years old... Manufactures have come a long way since then... there was hardly any warnings on anything, I shopped at tesco's and they sent me a list of all their dairy free food, then a list of egg free food, then a list of their nut free food... and I had to go through it and highlight what he could have.. and then cross refrence it with the other 2 lists.... bloody nightmare... especially as they keep changing their ingredients...

Son is 7 now, and life has got easier... In fact he is going to be allergy tested again TOMORROW at basinstoke general hospital... Wish me luck...

Rummum

HJH Tue 10-May-05 10:23:08

Good Luck for tomorrow - my daighter is 2 next week and she has her first challenge in June.

its nice to know that things get easier. im having a nightmare at the moment. i gave her some fish fingers that didnt say anything about dairy on the ingredients list but she still had a reaction to them.

its not finding things for her to eat that is necessarily the problem i just want to give her some nice variety.

rummum Tue 10-May-05 10:43:05

Do you know all the hidden names for milk and eggs? like caisins... whey ... my minds gone blank, I can't think of any more the the minute but I'm sure someone else will come up with a list for you..

My son has the skin prick testing, which hospital are you going too?

by the way son has birdseye fish fingers... not the ones in batter though.. in breadcrumbs..

rummum

HJH Tue 10-May-05 10:48:48

yes ive got the list from the hosital. nothing was showing! the hospital did suggest that the fish fingers were probably dipped in egg but not added onto the ingredients list because it is less than 25%.

Nightmare

we are Dewsbury hospital, West yorkshire.

ruty Tue 10-May-05 11:18:04

my ds is on gluten free and dairy free diet, and its so difficult because if foods are dairy free they invariably contain gluten and vice versa. I was looking for rusks and the gluten free ines have milk powder in them. Grrr!

ruty Tue 10-May-05 11:19:03

also hardly any organic food gluten or dairy free. Can't get organic gluten free bread for example.

rummum Tue 10-May-05 11:28:08

what brand of fish fingers did you use HJH?

HJH Tue 10-May-05 11:40:42

cant remember actual name but they were the asda cheapos!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now