Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tatt - Can I please check something with you?

(3 Posts)
BlueBumedFly Sat 06-Jun-09 20:36:14

Hi Tatt

Sorry to bother you yet again but I wanted to share/check something with you.

A few days ago we were at a BBQ and I watched in horror as a friend who had been eating peanuts lent down and kissed DD3 on the neck, like a play snuffle sort of thing. I could not get there fast enough and as she is not diagnosed or even ever had a reaction there is no warning signs above her head like we used to have with SDD.

Anyway, she was fine. So, I watched and watched the area and nothing. So I took a small piece of nut and just touched it to her skin. Nothing, all fine. So I licked the nut (not quite sure why, think I thought it would leave more residue) anyway, all fine, not a single sign of a reaction.

So, she is now fine with lentils, I am sure she has come into very close contact with walnuts and pecans, she had a soya veggie burger the other day and now this.

I am hoping these are all good signs she is not following in her sister's footsteps.

What are your thoughts? Again, sorry to bother you!

tatt Sat 06-Jun-09 22:16:22

really looks like she is going to be Ok with nuts. Not sure about licking one but the next step would be peanut butter on her face.

Of course allergies can develop at any age but you don't inherit nut allergies, only a tendency to be allergic. And everything is looking good now.

If you are going to try peanut butter then making your own from unroasted peanuts could mean they are less allergenic. I don't know if peanut butter made commercially uses roast peanuts as it's not something we ever have in the house but you could be sure homemade stuff didn't. I know I've seen the recipe on mumsnet.

BlueBumedFly Sun 07-Jun-09 06:19:34

Now we are in scary territory! I might still speak to the doc to see if we can do it under hospital coonditions. As you say you cannot inherit an allergy but we are working out that dh's psoriasis is a def link to the girls immune issues.

On the bright side SDD is doing really well and has her 17 peanut challenge and blood work in a few weeks time. We had to put it off from may as she broke her arm, cannot overload the poor child with too much at one go!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now