Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

how long do they stay on nutramigen?

(19 Posts)
victoriagirl Fri 05-Jun-09 19:14:00

My dt's are 16 mths old and on 210 ml nutramigen 2 twice a day- have been for months. We don't see the doctor, just get repeat prescriptions. I was just wondering- how long do they stay on this? At some point do I just take them off it and give them rice milk or something instead? I do try to reintoduce dairy every now and again, but they are obviously not ready yet.

AcademicMum Sat 06-Jun-09 10:38:16

TBH I'd keep them on it for as long as the doctor keeps giving the prescriptions. There are issues with arsenic in rice milk (previous thread about this which I can't find at present) and rice milk is quite empty nutritionally. Oat milk has a profile more like semi-skimmed milk in terms of calories, fat etc and soya milk there are issues with phyto-oestrogens. I'd avoid self-testing and get a proper "challenge" at the hospital.

victoriagirl Sun 07-Jun-09 08:47:25

Thanks for your reply. Panic now though- rice milk and arsenic? Gulp. They have been drinking rice milk with their cereals for months now. Should i switch to oat milk? (they don't tolerate soya milk)

AcademicMum Sun 07-Jun-09 12:23:55

The original thread where it was discussed is here. I reackon is probably OK in small quantities e.g. on cereal, I think just best avoided as a main drink till they are a bit older (and reliant on milk a bit less). If they drink Nutramigen fine, I'd stick with that as its just better nutritionally.

jaluca Sun 12-Jul-09 22:02:32

my dd was on nutramigen until she was 5 and has had no adverse affects from it. she still doesnt drink milk but can tolerate small amounts of soya milk and has eaten ice cream in small amount. however doesnt eat cheese, butter or margarine yoghurts etc.

strawberrycornetto Sun 12-Jul-09 23:19:14

Our dietitian told us DS could only have nutramigen until he is 2.

girlsyearapart Mon 13-Jul-09 11:58:52

dd2 10mo on Nutramigen AA and will continue on it till 18mo when she will have a 'milk challenge' at hospital. Our dietitian said that GP's don't like to prescribe it for too long as it's expensive but if you do it through the dietitian and it can be proved that there is no suitable alternative they will have no choice but to continue repeating the prescription.

Picante Mon 13-Jul-09 12:24:03

DS is still on Neocate and he's 3.3 - will keep giving it to him as long as gp keeps prescribing it.

ilovemydogandmrobama Mon 13-Jul-09 12:25:46

DS is on Neocate and Dietician said he's on it indefinitely. I don't know how long indefinitely is?

AcademicMum Mon 13-Jul-09 23:46:22

hi ilove, I read that Neocate Advance is designed for 1-10 year olds so I guess potentially till then? Certainly I had such a nightmare weaning ds2 onto neocate I'm not willing to switch him to something else any time soon smile.

ilovemydogandmrobama Tue 14-Jul-09 14:25:55

Hi Academic, In that case, may need to work out a separate recycling bin for all that cardboard! DS has the plain flavor. Any experience with the flavored ones?

AcademicMum Tue 14-Jul-09 15:09:18

We have the unflavoured one as ds2 prefered this to the flavoured one hmm. We only tried the flavoured Neocate Active though, not the Advance. It comes in blackcurrant flavour (and actually tastes OK), but ds2 spit it out.

ilovemydogandmrobama Tue 14-Jul-09 18:01:28

Just stumbled on a new Neocate. It's called Neocate Nutra. Any ideas how it's different to Neocate Advance? Am seeing Dietician soon, so am wondering if it would be more suitable?

AcademicMum Tue 14-Jul-09 21:04:22

Ah, just found something about this. Earlier this year MonkeyPuzzle2 mentioned that neocate were bringing out a yoghurt based on neocate. Looks like this is it. Damn, wish I knew about this earlier, we were just at the dietician's today.

girlsyearapart Wed 15-Jul-09 07:11:24

Is it wrong to be so unashamedly excited about a yoghurt?? grin

ilovemydogandmrobama Wed 15-Jul-09 09:38:09

Sorry people. Don't think it's a yoghurt. It's another formula, but was wondering the difference between Nutra and Advance...

here

girlsyearapart Wed 15-Jul-09 11:37:21

I may cry now!

AcademicMum Wed 15-Jul-09 11:47:00

There's some info www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2009-06/cwh-nln061109.php on this link.

ilovemydogandmrobama Wed 15-Jul-09 22:37:57

Thanks Academic. Can't figure out the difference between Neocate Advance which is what DS (16 months) is on as opposed to Neocate Nutra. Both seem to be geared toward cow milk protein intolerances/allergies. Both seem to be a complete food, although Neocate Nutra seems to be available online which means without a prescription?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now