Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

severe ezcema

(10 Posts)
alisha29 Thu 04-Jun-09 12:58:23

my son is 6 years old and has suffered since he was 1 year old he sees a dermatolgist and nthing seems to help him so i have decided to go private thought he would get more help if i paid for it. has anyone gone private from the nhs and got more out of it???

reikizen Thu 04-Jun-09 20:37:20

I have heard good things about homeopathy and ezcema, also about nutritionalists.

Starshinetiger Thu 04-Jun-09 20:49:42

Just to second Reikizen - we took DS to a homeopath for his eczema. We also narrowed down that eggs seem to cause it, so they're a no-no, but after about 4-5 treatments with homeopath his eczema was gone as long as we don't feed him eggs. May take longer as your DS is 6yo and the homoepath works by negating the things that are out of kilter with the body, so will need to work through 6 years of that, but would say it is definitely worth a shot.

pointydog Thu 04-Jun-09 20:58:46

My dad paid for me to take dd2 to a private dermatologist when she was a baby and we were so sick of it all. They have the same arsenal of creams at their disposal, whether private or nhs. Our one just prescribed even stronger steroids. We only went the once.

So personally, I don't think there's any difference. Eczema is a bugger.

js1000 Thu 04-Jun-09 22:14:51

Sorry Alisha i cant help as my 16 mnth son has eczema too.

I want to ask Starshinetiger about her homeopath if she dont mind. which hameopath did u go to ? Is it around London?
I am also taking hameopathic medicine for my son with results are great.

chegirl Thu 04-Jun-09 22:26:26

Not sure if private mainstream medicine would be any better. Eczema is indeed a bugger.

The only thing that ever worked for my DS, who has severe atopic eczema, was oral steroids.

They made eczema disappear for a few blissful weeks. Of course it came back but it has never been as bad since (about 2 years now). I think it gave us a chance to get on top of the bugger.

I dont know anything about homeopathy but I do take DS to the Children's Osteopathy Foundation clinic in EC1.

I dont know if it will work but I am willing to try things that are not 1. expensive (wouldnt be sustainable)2.painful 3.distressing.

6 years of 'cures' makes you a little wary.

pointydog Thu 04-Jun-09 22:50:33

yes, che, I've even tried homeopathy <hollow laugh>. That's how desperate you get.

roneef Thu 04-Jun-09 22:58:22

I don't think there's a huge difference between private and nhs treatment tbh.

Hope your dc feels better soon.

smile

Pacita Thu 04-Jun-09 23:40:54

Same here, tired of steroid creams and a whole army of moisturisers with varying degrees of efficiency, I went to a homeopath. It's improved things, but the eczema is not yet gone.

alisha29 Fri 05-Jun-09 12:34:31

ive tried lots of different steriods, creams, medicines wet wraps etc... for 6 years cant explain how bad it is but my poor child and me are fed up and tired of it cant remember the last time we had a proper full nights sleep i thought that maybe she might tell me something new or that my sons dermatolgist had missed sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now