Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Best sun-cream for a toddler with eczema?

(14 Posts)
theyoungvisiter Mon 01-Jun-09 10:48:42

DS (3) has started to react to almost all sun-creams. Are there any that are particularly non-allergenic?

theyoungvisiter Mon 01-Jun-09 11:10:47

bump?

V grateful for any advice - this is a new problem for me so a bit at sea smile

LastOrders Mon 01-Jun-09 11:12:38

I posted a thread on this the other day. will link you to it.

LastOrders Mon 01-Jun-09 11:15:00

here

The Avene (sp) one looks quite good. I may invest in it.

Hopefully we'll get some more suggestions wink

theyoungvisiter Mon 01-Jun-09 11:23:25

oh brilliant - thank you.

Avene does sound good (weeping at thought of £16 on sun cream though!)

Someone in RL told me that Sainsburys own brand is often tolerated - but I have to wait until DS's current rash subsides before I put on any more stuff. Poor thing - I feel so mean to keep experimenting on him...

LastOrders Mon 01-Jun-09 11:28:10

Its a double edged sword.

Need sunscreen on to protect from the sun, but it may irritate so need to keep trying till you find on that works.

DS is suffering too at the mo, so I know how you feel smile

babybarrister Mon 01-Jun-09 11:34:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

theyoungvisiter Mon 01-Jun-09 11:34:52

I know, you feel terrible putting it on and terrible not putting it on.

We are having a couple of days of maximum coverup and playing in shade/indoors to try and let it flare down though - then I'll start again. Sigh...

theyoungvisiter Mon 01-Jun-09 11:40:28

sorry, cross posted baby barrister.

Is that the www.eczema.org website?

I can't get their search function or FAQs to work for me for some reason (I am on firefox/linux so it might be a techy thing) so if you find the list, would you be extremely kind and link to it?

Thank you!!

rodgershawk Mon 01-Jun-09 11:40:58

Hey, tried my DS 15months (who get his eczema worst on his face) with Nivea sun Baby 50+. Its advertised as sun protection for sensitve baby skin and so far so good..

Good luck experimenting smile

stealthsquiggle Mon 01-Jun-09 11:50:01

Try a good pharmacy - a lot of them will have free samples which you can then patch-test.

My DS got on very well with this stuff which is horrendously expensive but does last ages as you really do only need to put it on once a day.

That said, he (and I) are now suffering with prickly heat instead sad

Sunshinemummy Mon 01-Jun-09 11:57:08

Hi - my four year old niece has very bad eczema and her mum has been advised to choose the cheapest sun cream possible as they don't have the perfumes in that irritate the eczema. She's using Tesco's own brand and this seems to be ok.

theyoungvisiter Tue 02-Jun-09 10:10:09

thank you for all the suggestions - esp for the brilliant patch test idea, it has been costing me a small fortune in chucking away bottles!

Sunflower100 Tue 02-Jun-09 14:49:29

Simple childrens one good for my dd

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now