Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

3 year old scratching - could it be hayfever - or what?

(6 Posts)
tryingherbest Sat 30-May-09 16:11:46

Little one scratching lower leg last night. This morning changed bedclothes and hoovered bed!
He's just been rolling in the grass - scratching lower again and they are bumpy and look red PLUS the same on side of the face. Have put on benadryl but he hates it.

He's not sneezing, doesn't have red eyes but could it be hayfever or another allergy?

What's the best thing to use for itchy and lumpy skin?

roneef Sat 30-May-09 16:46:01

I have this.

I was told by the GP it was a reaction to the hot weather.

tryingherbest Sat 30-May-09 16:47:56

OK Roneef that's interesting thso what do you do for it? I was concerned it was bedbugs hence I hoovered the bed - but we were just outside and he was rolling on the grass but what I think it odd it was just his calves and one side of the face.

Do you use anything for the rash at all?

roneef Sat 30-May-09 17:04:13

I thought of bugs too - aagh.

But dh ok, so not that.

I'm so busy I don't do anything - just let them fade.

SparkyToo Sun 21-Jun-09 22:09:18

Maybe it is an allergic reaction to dust mites which live in bedding. I got the feeling that bedding allergies are pretty common so I went for these children's duvets which can be washed at 60 degrees (you have to wash at this temperature or higher in order to kill off the dust mites). The duvets are really soft and comfy too, so my boys are happy.

chloesmumtoo Tue 23-Jun-09 10:04:36

My dd has much of the allergies you have mentioned! Its hard to say which is to blame. I have to admit my daughters itching has increased dramatically with the high pollen at the mo and it is making her more itchy at night. she gets hives from environmental or food reactions. I would sugest using an antihistamine when you need to but try to eliminate factors aswell. As far as her pollen allergy, I do not open her bedroom window. I do not dry any of her clothes on the line and she reg washes her hair and body to remove pollens. Pollens float around airborne and sticks to hair and washing ect. She is on full doses of antihistamine at the mo but suffers with sore eyes, itchy ears, itchy body ect but no sneezing funny enough. As for the dustmite allergy, I also advice special bedding. Dustmite proof and sheets that can be washed at 60 degrees. All teddies I wash then freeze for 24 hrs to kill dustmites. she definately used to get hives after playing with a box of teddies! All toys need to be boxed and limit carpeting. We have also put a blind in her room now instead of curtains. Yes hoovering the mattress every week is a must. We have a dustmite proof mattress but you can also get the special covers to stop the dustmites ect by zipping on and around your mattress. Its taken along time but finally our house is becomming quite allergy proof!! Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now