Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone else trying to wean on a salicylate free diet?

(8 Posts)
ecomum Wed 04-May-05 23:44:12

My DS had a severe reaction (anaphylactic) to broccoli. Bizarre or what.

Have now realised that this is due to the high levels of salicylates in broccoli. He has milder reactions to most fruit and veg except swede, cauliflower, green beans, lentils, pear and banana - all v.low in salicylates.

He's also severely allergic to dairy - and am holding off egg, wheat etc for as long as possible - so his diet is very limited and boring.

Has anyone else experienced this - or have any recipe suggestions?

Thanks

bobbybob Thu 05-May-05 00:25:16

Ecomum, just to reassure you that he will not know it is boring. Ds ate about 10 things until he was a year old, and he ate his food with great gusto.

He now seems completely normal for a toddler about trying new stuff.

I just made lots of stews, throwing everything he could eat in a pan and boiling up until it reached the required consistency.

singersgirl Thu 05-May-05 17:06:25

Hi, you could try to order The Failsafe Cookbook by Sue Dengate, which I got from Amazon - that has lots of low salicylate recipes and, though they are for adults, you could adapt and amend suitable ones. Other low salicylate vegetables (of course you may have tried these and find them too high!) are cabbage (including red cabbage), iceberg lettuce, celery, mung bean sprouts, bamboo shoots, all pulses except broad beans (eg lentils and chickpeas), leeks, salad onions, garlic, brussel sprouts. My elder son (now 6.5)is also salicylate sensitive and we manage fairly well on these, plus the ones you mentioned. Casseroles and soups are good standbys. I amend lots of recipes by substituting swede for carrot and leek for onion, and most are fairly tolerable. Let me know if you want any more ideas!

ecomum Thu 12-May-05 20:14:05

Thanks bobbybob and singersgirl.

I've managed to order the failsafe cookbook on amazon, so look forward to receiving it.

Fruit is a tricky one isn't it? - everything seems ruled out except pear and banana. Or have you found other fruits to be OK?

ecomum Thu 12-May-05 20:15:02

I've managed to order the failsafe cookbook on amazon, so look forward to receiving it.

Fruit is a tricky one isn't it? - everything seems ruled out except pear and banana. Or have you found other fruits to be OK?

ecomum Thu 12-May-05 20:16:05

ecomum Thu 12-May-05 20:17:33

Oops - apologies for the repeated message, my computer went a bit bonkers.

singersgirl Thu 12-May-05 20:19:44

Ecomum, we stick to pear, with the occasional apple thrown in. DS1 is also sensitive to amines, which are in cauliflower and bananas, so those are out for us too. Surprisingly, he doesn't seem to mind that much, though he does miss bananas and grapes. You could try to join a discussion group like the ones on Sue Dengate's food intolerance website fedupwithfoodadditives.info (sorry, rushing with this and can't work out the link instructions); there is one called FailsafeBaby, I think, and a lot of the mums on there, IIRC, have severely intolerant and allergic infants, some on Neocate only. You will almost certainly find some suitable recipes there, too. HTH somewhat and good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now