Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Are these symptoms of a milk allergy.

(21 Posts)
littleoldme Tue 10-Feb-09 18:33:33

I only ask because DG has a horrid milk allergy when he was small and MIL says was similar symptoms to DS

He is nearly alwats sick after having having milk though this maybe because he guzzle it.
He had reflux when V small - now 14mo and not sure if this is just a continuation.

He always has very runny nappies and lots of them ; normally 4-6 a day.

Otherwise he's fine and perfectly happy in himself.

littleoldme Tue 10-Feb-09 18:34:53

I mean of course that DH had an allergy as a child.

Peachy Tue 10-Feb-09 18:36:59

It could well be

Is he BF or FF?

littleoldme Tue 10-Feb-09 18:41:28

He was Bf until 7 months. Then he went on to formula and now he's on cow's milk.

clemette Tue 10-Feb-09 18:47:04

How is his skin?

FiveGoMadInDorset Tue 10-Feb-09 18:49:57

Sounds very similar to DS's symptons, he also had mild excma, he has ben fine since we have taken him of any cow dairy products, he seems to tolerate goats milk in cereal, but to young to try for a full drink yet, and also soya milk, but anything with milk makes hime throw up and dodgy nappies and very uncomfortable.

littleoldme Tue 10-Feb-09 18:51:18

His skin is perfectly clear; it just the runny nappies and sickness. Is it ok it swop straight to soya ?

FiveGoMadInDorset Tue 10-Feb-09 18:54:05

Try it (it is revolting and smells) may also be worth trying goats milk or also the lactose free milk to see if any of those make a difference.

clemette Tue 10-Feb-09 18:57:52

I would only swap on the advice of a dietician. Soya/goats doesn't have the correct sort of fat and even with the added calcium is still deficient compared to cow's milk. If he is growing, gaining weight his skin is clear and he is in no discomfort I would not swap.

Is he sick after things like cheese and yoghurt?

littleoldme Tue 10-Feb-09 18:58:39

Do you know if the calcium levels are the same - or if they need more or less of it ?

Love your name BTW.

littleoldme Tue 10-Feb-09 19:01:40

Clem X posted - Thanks for that. I was going to talk to the HV. He's noticably sick after cheese and yogs but is sometimes sick when he hasn't had milk. I think I need to talk to the HV

Peachy Tue 10-Feb-09 19:10:11

Gooats isn't realy suitable at this age

I ahve 3 with casein intol plus myself

I would chat to hv as its not necessarily a lactose issue even if it is milk- the symptoms you describe are like those ds4 hets if I have milk and thats casein

If its lactose there are fab lactose free formula brands I would use in preference to soya, if it's casein it needs to be soya which is why you need advice

littleoldme Tue 10-Feb-09 19:11:06

Thanks peachy, that's very helpful.

FiveGoMadInDorset Tue 10-Feb-09 19:19:34

Peachy what do you give/have as a substitute? DS does not tolerate any milk but is happy on soya. HV's have not given any weaning advice eben when I asked. WIll try again next week.

Peachy Tue 10-Feb-09 19:24:38

well for formula the boys all had soa formula; ds3 had enfamil lactofree whixch wasnt exactly right for him (being casein intol) but was a heck of a good milk anyway (tasted locely, I used to sue it also blush as les reactive on me than proper milk)

DS4 is still ebing BF with me following a caseiin free diet, however he will have bits of soya formula in his meals if needed.

AS they are older the boys have moved onto goats milk, and seem fine on it. The only issue is that oyou cant get it in small cartons for school (to replace the standard free milk) so ds3 has Rice Cream which you can buy in Sainsburys

In 'the old days' when we had ds1 the soya available had terribly high sugars and ds1 lost most of his teeth but they seem to have resolved that now which makes it less baby nice tqasting but better if you can them to drink it I think.

After 3 ordinary rice / soya is fine but before that they need more fat.

KerryMumbles Tue 10-Feb-09 19:28:07

it doesn't necessarily sound like an allergy if these are the only symptoms. But it doesn't appear to be agreeing with him. Test for dairy allergy is fairly routine and can be done at GPs. You might want to get him tested.

also bear in mind that if it is a dairy allergy, 40% of people who have dairy allergies will also be allergic to soy.

Peachy Tue 10-Feb-09 19:29:12

Kerry right about soy but remember allergy and intol different things>>

I know nowt about allergies.

KerryMumbles Tue 10-Feb-09 19:30:33

And I know nowt about intolerances.

grin

Peachy Tue 10-Feb-09 19:32:35

You takin the piss outa my Somerset accent with that nowt? wink grin wink

KerryMumbles Tue 10-Feb-09 19:41:34

I'm American. It's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.

FiveGoMadInDorset Tue 10-Feb-09 20:05:08

Thanks Peachy, that is bascially what we have been doing so good to know we are on the right track and DS seems to be happy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now