Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

lactose intolerance after illness - can it happen again?

(9 Posts)
bagpussmice Sat 09-Apr-05 20:12:59

dd2 had a temporary lactose intolerance just after Xmas after a bout of illness.... for just over a month I changed her milk to goats milk which seemed to help, and then weaned gradually back to cows milk. She's now had another bug and been quite poorly, and now she has started drinking milk again her poos are very smelly and she has terrible wind - I wonder whether this is another intolerance build up?

bobbybob Sun 10-Apr-05 08:58:34

Probably yes. I would restore her gut flora using probiotic powder as well as changing to the goats milk if you found that helped.

bagpussmice Sun 10-Apr-05 14:03:03

thanks bobbybob. I am giving her acidophilus in her milk...
Just about to post another thread as I am worried -she's not really eaten much since last Tues..

Louise1980 Sun 10-Apr-05 14:13:29

My ds1 gets a lactose intolerance everytime he has a tummy upset. I have to keep dairy products out of his diet for at least 2 weeks. It started when he was about 1yr. I dont give him any extra suplements just avoid the offending products in his diet.

Now I know what the problem is I can start avoiding dairy products asap when he's been ill.

pragmatist Mon 11-Apr-05 09:05:16

Mine too - always gets temporary lactose intolerance after a tummy bug.

bagpussmice Tue 12-Apr-05 20:16:08

what do you do about milk??

bobbybob Tue 12-Apr-05 20:22:14

Soy milk, Oat milk, rice milk, water - it's only for a short time so don't get too concerned about calcium etc. Or give a calcium suppliment.

The recovery is much quicker is total avoidance is done.

bagpussmice Tue 12-Apr-05 20:38:00

I only "guessed" it was a lactose intolerance last time after a bug as dd's nappies were very pale and smelly (and frequent). This time after this bug it lasted a couple of days, however, today she only has had one poo and it was pretty solid. She has been drinking goats rather than cows milk and I did try to cut out some diary, but she's vegetarian too so it's quite difficult IMO....
fingers crossed things are okay now.. How do you know for deffo that it's a lactose intolerance??

pragmatist Tue 12-Apr-05 22:30:56

I know it's lactose intolerance when ds vomits or has the runs after milk, but if I leave him off it he eats normally and doesn't vomit or have diarrhoea. He also spurns milk during these periods which makes it somewhat easier to avoid it. After a few days I try dairy again and he is usually okay with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now