Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is Ecover bad for skin?

(23 Posts)
dinosaur Fri 08-Apr-05 10:15:07

Hi everyone, hoping that someone on this board may know a bit about baby skin and allergy.

My DS3 is eight months old. As there is eczema in the family I don't use any soap or shampoo on him and I moisturise his skin with diprobase. He's been fine until the last couple of weeks, when he developed blotches of dry red skin on his back, plus a bit of inflamed redness in the creases of his elbows, ankles and nappy area.

The two things that have been different are that firstly he had antibiotics for an ear infection, and that secondly we switched from Tesco Non-Bio to Ecover a couple of weeks ago.

Has anyone any experience of either of these things causing inflamed dry skin?

misdee Fri 08-Apr-05 10:17:46

anti biotics upset the gut flora and can cause eczema to appear. try re-addressing the balence with some probiotics.

all detergents are essentially bad for skin as they are chemicals, but most peoples skin can tolerate them. try switching back to tescos non-bio, it could be he cant tolerate something in the ecover.

Chandra Fri 08-Apr-05 10:20:25

It seems like Ecover could be the culprit, try switching to a non-bio, but in the men time if the patches are getting a bit too bad Aveeno cream could help a lot.

Ameriscot2005 Fri 08-Apr-05 10:23:51

I would not be surprised if Ecover was the problem. I don't know what is in it exactly (because I would never buy it), but they claim not to use a lot of the additives that more sophisticated cleaners use. That makes me think that they would have to use a higher % of surfactants (which are irritating whatever way you slice it) and crude bleaches.

dinosaur Fri 08-Apr-05 10:25:56

Thank you everyone. Misdee, what kind of probiotics would be suitable for an 8 month old - sorry to sound dim but I don't know much about them...

katierocket Fri 08-Apr-05 10:53:59

Ecover washing powder gave my DP dry itchy skin

misdee Fri 08-Apr-05 10:59:12

not too sure dino. try a local health store, they should be able to advise.

katierocket Fri 08-Apr-05 11:03:04

dino - I give my DS biocare probiotic powder.
this link might help

here
you can buy it at lots of online healh shops. It's a powder thtat you add to cold liquid. I jsut give half a teaspoon on cereal in the morning.

Are there any probiotics produced especially for children?
BioCare’s Banana Acidophilus is ideal for children. It is free from dairy, artificial sweeteners, and colourings. It contains Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium bifidum. The recommended dose is 1/2 tsp in water, juice, or milk or sprinkled onto food daily. 60g of powder costs £12.50

Marina Fri 08-Apr-05 11:03:33

Can't use the Ecover handwash or the washing up liquid without gloves on and I have a hide like a rhino's usually. Shame, do like to use their products whenever possible. Ameriscot's possible explanation makes sense.
Sorry to hear about ds3 dino.

dinosaur Fri 08-Apr-05 11:06:14

Gosh darn it, I bet it is the sodding Ecover. My DH will kill me, I have made him lug loads of it home from a little green shop in Stokey (we don't have a car).

Ameriscot2005 Fri 08-Apr-05 11:14:20

Marina,

You are probably sensitised to one of the raw materials - probably the surfactant, but maybe the preservative.

It may pass with time though. When I worked in shampoo manufacture, I was very sloppy (flouted the company's H&S rules) and got too much on my hands (this is an occupational setting and way above what you would use for normal hair washing). I did get very sore hands, and became sensitive to relatively small amounts. But once I realised what had happened and started taking precautions, I gradually got better.

merglemergle Fri 08-Apr-05 11:14:59

We had similar problem with ds only in the nappy area. He is in reusables. Our fantastic nappy lady advisor said it was probably the Ecover. We switched to Surcare / Filetti and that sorted out most of the problem.

She has also said that they are getting some evidence that bio powders might actually be better for babies with sensitive skins. I'd always seen bio powders as much harsher but thinking about AmeriScot's post, maybe they're not?

Ameriscot2005 Fri 08-Apr-05 11:20:49

There's a trade off when you take certain ingredients out of a formula - you have to replace them with something else so that you don't lose performance.

IMO, the only reason to use non-bio is if you are sensitised to the enzymes in bio. If you are not, there is no benefit, and definite drawbacks, to using non-bio.

A lot of people use non-bio for baby clothes, but I don't see a lot of sense in that.

trefusis Fri 08-Apr-05 11:21:58

Message withdrawn

Chandra Fri 08-Apr-05 11:29:35

Oh, really? I'm a bit afraid of experimenting with biological detergents at the momen,t but I will keep your comment on mind for when DS's skin seem strong enough to try it.

bonym Fri 08-Apr-05 11:42:16

Dh developed a rash on his body when I started using Ecover washing powder. I was reluctant to believe it could be the cause at first as I thought it was supposed to be very gentle but I switched back to Persil non-bio and the rash has now gone!

bobbybob Sat 09-Apr-05 07:03:03

I think the antibiotics are more likely to be the culprits but the change of washing powder won't have helped. Try the probiotics but gradually up the dose to counteract the antibiotic use, the doses on packets are maintainence doses.

dinosaur Sat 09-Apr-05 18:14:21

Thank you so much everyone. Mumsnet delivers the goods again! Will try the probiotics. Went to Tesco Metro yesterday and bought an enormous box of their own brand non-bio washing powder. DH only a little bit cross about the Ecover

vwvic Tue 19-Apr-05 14:53:18

We can't use ecover either. Our only choice is Sainsbury's non- bio, although for us it tends to be the perfumes. We also give dd2 probiotics. She is 3. IIRC they are called acidophikidz, and cost about £8 for 60 tablets. HTH

ecomum Fri 06-May-05 10:58:54

I've posted this info before somewhere - but try ecoballs. You can get them from the green baby catalogue - and no doubt lots of other places if you do a google search.

I was a bit sceptical at first - but believe me they work just as well as soap, and clothes are much softer. And of course no more hours stood at the sink hand rinsing.

I sound like a sales rep! I'm not honestly - its just that they've made life so much easier - I'll never go back to soap. (I still sound like sales rep ).

rumplestiltskin Fri 06-May-05 14:16:39

did you switch / use fabric softener as well. this is more likely to be the cause than the washing powder as it is designed to stay on the fabric to make it soft and smell nice. we use ecover non bio as it's the only brand my son's skin can tolerate. but he is allergic to every cream that says suitable for excema except infaderm.
you could also try an extra rinse cycle at the end the wash just to make sure.

bluebear Tue 10-May-05 15:30:28

My ds gets inflamed dry skin from Ecover - we use Persil non-bio and have no problems.

However, I get sore hands from all washing up liquids except ecover (but then it doesn't clean the dishes that well either )

wavingordrowning Tue 10-May-05 19:40:10

We had a problem with Ecover and now use Surcare - skin so much better. May be worth giving it a try. It's cheaper than Ecover too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now