Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Are there chlorine-free swimming pools in the UK?

(27 Posts)
ecomum Tue 05-Apr-05 16:14:59

Hello

Does anyone know if there are any chlorine-free swimming pools in England or the UK?

I've been told there are, but have been unable to find anything searching the internet.

My DS has very sensitive skin but loves the water, so its a real shame that he can't go to the local pool.

(We are lucky enough to have spring water at our house - but have noticed that even the chlorine in mains water irritates his skin when he has a bath at my mum's house.)

I am prepared to travel anywhere in the UK - even to make a holiday out of the trip if necessary!

Thanks

PiccadillyCircus Tue 05-Apr-05 16:35:04

I think that the swimming pool at the health place near us have a chlorine free swimming pool, but we didn't join so I can't remember. Will have a look and see if I can find out.

alison222 Tue 05-Apr-05 16:36:26

I know that our local holmes place gym is chlorine free.
Maybe some of the gyms near you may be too. Quite a few of them do let children in the pools at certain times.

milliways Tue 05-Apr-05 16:37:48

A google search suggested Crown Pool, Ipswich but their website could not confirm (I Googled public swimming chlorine free (UK search) & found a similar discussion forum!

tiddlypom Tue 05-Apr-05 16:46:50

our holmes place pool is chlorine free too - it's probably true nationwide

PiccadillyCircus Tue 05-Apr-05 16:49:43

The health place is a Cannons one - can't work out from their website if it is chlorine free or not but seem to remember them telling us when we went to have a look round.

sorrel Tue 05-Apr-05 16:51:27

went to a lovely salt water spa in Co. Cork last year- sorry it's probably a bit far, but can give details if interested.

Caligula Tue 05-Apr-05 17:01:24

I know that Lancaster University used to have an ozone pool - don't know if they still have, or if non-students are allowed to use it.

ecomum Mon 11-Apr-05 17:26:10

That's great.

I've now found at least 2 pools within an hour from where I live. Need to check whether the Cannon pools are chlorine free, but they do children's swimming lessons so sounds promising.

Thanks everybody!

SwimSafe Sat 22-Jan-11 22:57:27

Chlorine will kill most bacteria in under 30 seconds, it takes up to 90 minutes for chlorine free pools to kill bacteria.

Chlorine free public pools are not permitted anywhere in Europe except the UK because there is too great a risk of spreading disease.

The reason why they are allowed in the UK is because the industry is not regulated and there are no formal standards.

Under no circumstances should anyone use a public chlorine free pool.

Agent57 Sun 23-Jan-11 22:37:58

I can not stop sneezing when I have been swimming, I am wondering if that is down to the chlorine.

canyou Sun 23-Jan-11 22:50:21

Sorrel was itInchydoney? I am going there next week for the day with my BF as her hen --spa day weekend,
Sorry OP absolutely useless re your request but it is so worth a trip grin

PaisleyLeaf Sun 23-Jan-11 22:56:18

I don't know where you are, but there's a salt pool I know in East Sussex that's used for baby and toddler swimming lessons.

thenightsky Sun 23-Jan-11 23:05:41

Caligua is correct... DS is at Lancaster and says the pool there is ozone cleaned.

From their website.....

Living in Lancaster
Lancaster as a place to live and study
The University has always had excellent facilities and buildings but we have spent a staggering £50 million in recent years to improve them. As a result we now have a superb new library, a new Art Gallery and music building, a new Museum and Archive, new Students' Union, outstanding sports facilities including an ozone-treated swimming pool and all-weather pitches, a new pre-school centre, new multi-media lecture theatres, new Colleges, and hundreds of new residence places.

nottirednow Mon 24-Jan-11 13:32:48

Message withdrawn

earwicga Mon 24-Jan-11 13:35:23

How about a Lido that is filled via sea water? We went to one on the south coast once, I was so surprised to taste the salt!

earwicga Mon 24-Jan-11 13:40:24

List of Tidal salt-water open air swimming pools

DaftApeth Mon 24-Jan-11 13:48:57

I don't know how uptodate this list is:

here

weathershore Wed 26-Jan-11 07:00:12

Gulford main lesiure centre is cleaned by 0zone

sleepwhenidie Wed 26-Jan-11 07:14:42

This website will need a bit of trawling through but should prove useful (maybe more so in summer - brrr now!)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/oliver.merrington/lid os/index.html

dallasglitz Sun 20-Feb-11 17:29:09

There are quite a few totally chlorine free pools in London

Topnotch health club, London Bridge (baby classes)
Market Sports health club, Shoreditch
Swim Canary Wharf - swim lessons
Brockwell Lido hydrotherapy pool
Connaught Hotel, Mayfair
Le Meridien Hotel, Piccadilly
One Aldwych Hotel, Covent Garden
Hilton Metropole, Edgware Road (baby classes)
Rafayel Hotel, Battersea
The Landmark Hotel, Marylebone
The Lansdowne Club, Mayfair

Hope this helps

catsandcake Wed 16-Mar-11 14:10:45

hello paisleyleaf do you know where in east sussex the natural pool is? we are from east sussex and looking but can not find anything on the search- thanks!

PaisleyLeaf Wed 16-Mar-11 16:49:45

I've just seen your pm and replied catsandcake.

It's in Wilmington (near Polegate).
Little Dippers, Water Nippers and Small Splashes use it.
(small splashes do lessons up to 7 yr olds)
Their numbers are in that Family Grapevine magazine.

kinderegg1 Wed 16-Mar-11 17:15:50

Bedford High School Spa is chlorine free I believe.

matakana Sat 21-Feb-15 11:33:23

If there is anyone looking for a Chlorine free pool, there is one at Stowmarket Suffolk, which is an ozone pool

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now