Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I need information for my anaphylactic 10 year old

(6 Posts)
KerryMumbles Fri 09-Jan-09 10:28:49

I have pretty much managed ds1 along with the sna at school up to this point. He is anaphylactic to dairy nuts and eggs but (touch wood) it has been a long time since he has had a reaction (probably because I'm so anal about it which in this case is a good thing).

He will be entering secondary school in 2010 and I'm assuming will no longer have a sna with him at meal and break times. Also he will be in multiple classrooms instead of just one. I want him to be better educated about his allergies and symptoms, and when to seek help, etc.

Does anyone know of information geared towards children of this age (Anaphylaxis Campaign only has something geared towards younger kids)?

Also at what age did you teach your child to self-administer medication?

marz Fri 09-Jan-09 13:21:05

Have you contacted the Anaphylaxis campaign? (I mean, did you just see that on the website or have you actually had them tell you that they cannot help? There is a nice woman there called Mandy who visits schools (amongst many other things, I am sure) who I am sure might be able to help you...even if it were having a chat over the phone with your son that might be better than nothing...? My experience with them is that they would not just tell you that they cannot help, but at least try and point you in the right direction to get help....so it might be worth trying again with them if you have already had contact.
Also, can you get an appt with your consultant again and maybe they can get an appt with one of the allergy nurses who might be able to ascertain if he would be able to cope on his own self medicating etc.....
I think that at secondary school age it is also helpful to educate the friends of the anaphylactic child...do you know that any of his good friends will be going to the same school with him? Maybe for that, you have to wait till he forms a "group" of friends there.
I can imagine it must be very worrying.

tinytalker Fri 09-Jan-09 14:37:01

Have you tried Allergyuk.org they have also launched a new site geared towards kids
http://www.blossomcampaign.org/
My dd is going on a trip to Wales with the school and I am going to train her up so that she is more aware of her symptoms and how to self administer. She is 11yrs and up until now I've tried not to alarm her and of course have done most of the worrying and checking for her.
I also had a browse on You Tube and there are a few clips of teenagers talking about their allergies and Epipen which your ds might find useful.
Good luck

tatt Fri 09-Jan-09 18:26:16

for us it was a gradual process - getting them to tell people themselves/ check labels/ask about food. They were probably 10 before they could physically manage the trainer pen. As they aproached secondary school age we put more emphasis on them remembering things but the first year (especially) at secondary is a strain. We chose the school partly by how they responded to questions about epipens.

We went to an anaphylaxis campaign meet-up where they talked about "letting go". I think they also did a booklet with the same title - worth asking about it anyway.

He is likely to have to carry his pens with him at secondary and that is safest. They may also want one to keep with the first aid supplies - again good practise. If they forget to take theirs to school there is still one available in an emergnecy.

If he hasn't had a reaction in a long time some doctors will suggest new tests. This is partly to make sure it hasn't been outgrown but also to drive home the message that they are not invincible.

You need to be proactive. Check the secondary school are up-to-date on epipen training and whether they sell packets of nuts and seeds. Some canteens will give the food allergic special coloured trays to reimnd everyone of the problem.

KerryMumbles Sat 10-Jan-09 19:07:39

Hi. Thanks all. He actually hasn't had tests in a couple of years but last ones all his results were still very high though slightly lower than one before (he usually gets tested annually). His ige levels are extremely high and he still has reactions (hives, slight swelling, etc. to contact exposure but we are so completely anal about anything he comes in contact with there have been no serious reactions for a few years (touch wood).

My fear is complacency. Well, I haven't gotten sick in a long time it's okay if I sit next to someone eating a bag full of peanuts....kind of thing

From what I've read, actually the MOST dangerous time for anaphylactic kids is when they go to secondary school and enter their teens. They become more "embarrassed" and complacent and that's when the trouble starts.

tatt Sat 10-Jan-09 21:21:43

Teenage is certainly a high risk period, sadly, although late teens are worst. Alcohol and being careful don't mix and possibly dehydration makes reactions worse. Have told mine if you must drink to excess make sure there is someone sober enough to dial 999 and also take plenty of water with it. We also practise regularly in the hope that even if drunk they woudl still manage. So far they haven't been drunk.

Training their friends give you hope that there might be a sober driver.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now