Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DD is intolerant to wheat and poss dairy too, at ten months what can she have as replacements?

(10 Posts)
MadameOvary Wed 07-Jan-09 21:56:31

DD is ten months old and loves toast but by evening she becomes hyper then does not sleep properly, constantly disturbed by stomach cramps. It's possible dairy does this too. Can I give her goats milk yogurt with fruit purée?
She is still BF so I am making porridge with BM in the mornings and would love her to have some toast if anyone can suggest alternatives suitable for her.
She has dry patches on her hands and legs too, those those could be teething related.
Really didnt want to go this route but the change in her sleep is amazing after a day without wheat.

Starshinetiger Wed 07-Jan-09 22:10:46

MO - my DS is dairy and egg intolerant and I'm wheat intolerant. I can sympathise with the stomach cramps, as I get them myself. Not sure how you know that's what it is with 10month old, nor is 1 day forgoing a foodstuff enough to prove it is that foodstuff, but Mum's often know best, so here are my recommendations:

Cut out wheat and dairy (wheat intolerance is often exacerbated by dairy)
You can buy Rossisky rye bread in most supermakets (definitely Sainsbury's, Tesco's, Waitrose, quite possibly others). Most rye breads have wheat in, but this one doesn't. I must say it is quite a heavy bread so slice quite thinly for your DD. DS had this until he was about 20 months as we weren't sure whether he could have wheat, but he is fine on it.
There are lots of wheat-free breads, just look in the "free from" section in your local supermarket - but read labels, as many have dairy in and egg in (egg is the most allergenic food stuff apart from peanuts), so may be worth keeping that out of her diet to start with, just to test.
We give DS oatmilk - soya is also quite highly allergenic, so wouldn't recommend this for your DD being so young, oatmilk is easier digestion (shake box really well, to make sure you don't end up with sludge at the bottom.
Pure sunflower spread doesn't contain dairy or soya, so is a good one to try.
You may be lucky with goats milk, but those with dairy intolerances often can't take it either - I would suggest avoiding for first few weeks and then introduce to see whether it has an impact.
You will often need to cut out all allergenic substances for 7-10 days to be really sure they've cleared the system. Then after a month of so (possibly 2 weeks - I'm not a nutritionist or dietician), start reintroducing them one by one - introduce one and wait anywhere between 3-7 days for reaction, if no reaction you can continue giving it to her and then try another foodstuff.
Because of intolerances, reflux and eczema, DS lived on porridge (with oatmilk or his hypoallergenic formula), rye bread, meat, fish, veg and fruit until he was 20 months (with occassionally trying the allergenic substances to see if still reaction). From 20 months we were able to give him wheat knowing it had no impact. Still on no dairy or egg now - it causes eczema and funny tummy pretty much by next day or day after. After he got through weaning stage and maybe from 10-12 months, we would also give him Organics bars (no bad stuff in - find them in supermarkets in baby section, but I'm sure you know this! smile), Nairn's oatcakes, including the berry fruit ones, which he likes as a snack. At the earlier stage your DD is at, he still used to have the Plum baby foods fruit purees, as he LOVED them, but he was also eating fruit cut up. I tell you, he ate so healthily, I wish I could do it for myself!
Once you get used to it, it's not that difficult really. You can use oatmilk and Pure sunflower spread in cooking. You can also get wheatfree flour in all supermarkets (again either look by flour, or in freefrom section), if you want to either make your own bread or goodies that DD can eat.

I hope that helps and doesn't sound preachy!
Quite often, if you cut the offending foods out now, children will grow out of intolerances within the first 5 years (DS showing no sign yet, but he's not bothered by it at this age!) smile

simpson Wed 07-Jan-09 22:11:38

My DD has severe milk and soy intolerances too.

Might be worth checking if its the wheat or it might be soya as there is soy flour in most bread. My DD can't have it sad

I was told to avoid goats milk as it has similar enzymes to cows milk.

You could try rice milk just for porridge although the nutrients in it are minimal.

My DD also had dry patches under her arms etc which cleared up overnight when I stopped dairy.

I am still a bit in the dark myself TBH and am seeing the dietitian next month.

However DD manages breadsticks well grin

Starshinetiger Wed 07-Jan-09 22:11:49

Sorry - that was a really long post, but I know when I discovered my wheat intolerance, it took me a long time to discover where to get all the things to let me eat relatively normally, so I hope that helps!

jid Wed 07-Jan-09 22:17:36

my youngest is lactose intolerent, and also wheat free, have just discovered over the last few days whith alergic reactions the list is increasing (and she only 7 months).. I know of wheat free bread which you can warm before eating but to be honest is not very nice.. My 3 year old wos milk intolerent, but fortunatly did not suffer from wheat intolerance so i made my own bread for her and she had jams on it without the marg/ butter. Does she have a dietician. i do have some recipies for things for both children but would hate to give them to you if not compleatly sure about all allergies, which would maybe make things worse!!! good look i know how difficult it can be with a child with allergies let me know if you would like any milk free recipies xx jill xx

Renni Wed 07-Jan-09 22:22:57

Oh were to sart!!!!!! All my daughters are dairy intolerant and my middle one was gluten as well. The dry skin could be excema wich is connected with the dairy probs. Also dairy can irratate asthma. Most good supermarkets have a good free from range. Especialy Asda. As she is so young i would make all youre own food as she developes. They do do gluten free braed. The brown tastes the best. If she is gluten intolerent then she will have to cut out oats as well. Bye bye porridge. if its just wheat you have more options. Check all foods carefully because you will be suprised at what contains wheat and dairy. Yes you can try her on goats milk but anything you try new make sure all the rest of her food is what you know she can cope with. ie dont try goats milk with a fruit shes not had before. Good luck with it and let me know how you go on.

MadameOvary Wed 07-Jan-09 22:24:10

Thanks Starshine and Simpson, the reason I didn't want to go down this road is because I have been mildly neurotic about my own dairy and wheat intolerance for years and didn't want to project on my poor DD.
This is not the first night we've struggled with her cramps and wakefulness, it's awful to see her bent double and grimacing / squealing , but tonight she is peaceful, it's lovely!
So I am well familiar with Rossisky and will try that. Have also drunk rice milk in place of cows for years, would be good to give her that with some porridge in the mornings if she is not too young?

MadameOvary Wed 07-Jan-09 22:30:27

Thanks Jill and Renni - I am keen that she gets the right nutritional balance as well as a digestive one.
I will try the yogurt tomorrow and maybe rice milk the day after. I think she is ok with porridge as as she had some with ebm this morning.

LilRedWG Wed 07-Jan-09 22:33:01

Make sure you get a referral to a dietician. DD's dietician is excellent.

Starshinetiger Thu 08-Jan-09 14:33:33

Hi MO - just checking in. Would really recommend having a few days gap between introducing new foods - I know how much of a pain it is (I was also back at work when DS was 7 months, so didn't try anything new while he was at childminder, so really we only introduced new foods at weekends - was such a pain!) - but if you introduce foods 1 day apart, you won't necessarily know what is causing any reaction.
Good luck and post again if there's anything else we can help with.
I totally know what you mean about not wanting to project your own intolerances on your children, but in the end, I really think that you will be the best judge of what is happening and what not. Even now, I wonder if he's really intolerant (GP won't refer for testing at his age), but I only have to give him dairy or eggs to see that there is definitely a reaction!Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now