Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

nut free puddings

(9 Posts)
vict17 Thu 24-Mar-05 19:18:08

I asked recently about nut free Easter eggs for my neice and you were all very helpful. Now I need a pudding for Easter Sunday. I looked in Asda and couldn't see any ice-cream/fruit crumble/any kind of pie that didn't say 'might contain traces of nuts' or made in a factory that also makes nuts. Am I being over cautious or can anyone help?!!

tassis Thu 24-Mar-05 19:19:56

You could make your own fruit crumble? You could do it the day before. Or make a cake or a pavlova?

vict17 Thu 24-Mar-05 19:21:36

ah, you see I'm after a shop bought fool proof one i'm afraid!!

roisin Thu 24-Mar-05 19:26:48

How allergic is she vict17? My dh has a serious nut allergy, particularly peanuts, and we always check ingredients lists very carefully.

But these warnings "this product might contain traces of nuts" are written by lawyers, they are not for the benefit of nut allergy sufferers. Dh has always been OK with such things. I would phone her parents and ask their advice.

vict17 Thu 24-Mar-05 19:30:51

Thanks. I'm not really sure how allergic she is and kind of feel a bit wierd asking my sister because I don't want her to think i'm going to a lot of trouble. I just thought it would be easy to find something in a supermarket - lol

bobbybob Thu 24-Mar-05 19:46:34

I would simply ask "does she eat "may contain traces of" products?" I would be delighted if anyone bothered to do this for Bob.

Also keep the packaging - I won't eat let bob eat anything unless I can see the packet. Formulations change all the time.

I would disagree with "may contain" being driven by the lawyers. I do prefer "made on a production line", or "made in a factory that also uses", as it helps me quantify the risk.

vict17 Thu 24-Mar-05 19:55:53

She's away now until we see them anyway so can't really ask. Good idea about showing her the packaging but would feel mean if it wasn't okay and everyone else was eating yummy stuff! Doesn't anyone know of anywhere that sells puddings that say 'nut free' on the box like Easter eggs?

Podmog Thu 24-Mar-05 19:58:45

Message withdrawn

tatt Fri 25-Mar-05 10:01:47

vienetta is suitable for ice-cream, some apple pies are OK but sorry I don't have any in the house at the moment to check. You could offer anything from the baking boys if Asda stock them? Generally cheap ice-cream is out, more expensive ones can be OK. I have McKie's traditional dairy but don't like it much. Vict17 I wish our family were as considerate.

Most of the time "may contain" foods are fine but thye can contain nut protein and it would rather spoil the visit of the child had a bad reaction and went off in an ambulance. We have a tesco "woodland fruit" frozen strudel if there's a tesco nearby? The other strudel's weren't suitable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now