Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

getting sick after soya yogurt

(13 Posts)
hermykne Mon 21-Mar-05 12:06:14

my saga goes on
ds now 7mths+, and still breastfeed. the doc advised soya formula after my last trip there maybe a month or more ago, ds wouldnt take it and i kinda gave up after i put it on his dinner and he threw it up, his stomach kinda heaved and wretched and he got sick, i thought it was quite strong.
anyway, not keen on soya anyway after reading the very informative mumnsnet mothers on it, so wondering do i have to get him allergy tested now and is that via the doc or privately, who offers the most conclusive service? ie i would like to wean him now at 8months.

hermykne Mon 21-Mar-05 12:06:55

forgot to ADD HE GOT SICK AFTER SOYA YOGURT TOO only once, as he has had it since

FIMAC1 Mon 21-Mar-05 17:34:41

Kneisology is the most accurate (IMHO)

Enid Mon 21-Mar-05 17:35:44

sorry dont know your history, what makes you think he has allergies?

hermykne Mon 21-Mar-05 17:37:18

enid
outbreak of hives initially on formula
and an all rash i couldnt put down to anything other than formuka

Enid Mon 21-Mar-05 17:41:00

so allergic to dairy? Have you tried formula again recently?

hermykne Mon 21-Mar-05 17:46:46

just last thurs, cows formula and soya yogurt on sun, which was ok

Enid Mon 21-Mar-05 17:47:35

he had cows formula on thursday? how was he then?

hermykne Mon 21-Mar-05 17:47:59

he got sick on thurs.

i started expressing again today, and got all of half an oz, couldnt believe it, so i dont know whetyher i want to start expressing again now....its just bugging me presently

Enid Mon 21-Mar-05 17:49:30

dd2 used to throw up spectacularly after formula, I was convinced she couldnt tolerate it, we switched to Nanny goat formula which seemed a bit better.

But I have to say I think in retrospect she throws up every time she cuts a tooth - certainly doesnt seem to have any allergies now.

hermykne Mon 21-Mar-05 18:00:39

enid
i tried nanny too, as my dd was on it for awhile.
my theory is just give it to him slowly and he'll get use to it. and then i stop , do it half heartedly and he throws up with shock!

i weaned dd onto cow formula at 6mths and she scratched andscratched her forehead and i only coped recently that it was probably an itch to the formula she had.

anyway thanks

tatt Tue 22-Mar-05 07:22:17

hi hermykne

one of my children is allergic to soya milk - but not soya flour, thanfully. You can get skin prick tests and blood tests (better than other types of test according to NHS consultants) but they aren't reliable for intolerance, only for true allergies. Rash and vomiting could be a true allergy though. You could ask the doctor for one of the hypoallergenic formulas like neocate. Mix it with breastmilk at first, they taste terrible.

If he has a problem with cows milk and he had it as recently as last Thursday he might still have been reacting to that when you gave him the goats milk. If you could keep him on breast milk for 4 days, give him probiotics at the same time then try nanny again that might work. His immune system will be developing quite fast now so if you go with neocate try him again with nanny after a month or two.

If he throws up but doesn't get a rash on nanny he may have reflux but not a problem with the milk as such. Then you could try the self help reflux stuff. HTH

hermykne Tue 22-Mar-05 08:43:33

tatt thank you v much, thats great info

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now