Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

facial rash after milk (and maybe tomato) - anyone else experience this?

(12 Posts)
ajmum Mon 21-Mar-05 09:34:17

My almost 11mo DD has not previously seemed allergic to anything. However, I gave her a wee bit of milky foam from the top of my coffee a little over a week ago and she broke out in a rash. I've now noticed that after some meals this is starting to happen more often. She had salmon in a chive (white) sauce yesterday and broke out and then again after a meal where there was just a little cheese in a lentil moussaka. Weirdly, the rash seems to develop only where she had some previous irritation (a scratch or a dry patch). She had the same moussaka last week with no problems that I noticed.

The rash generally subsides within an hour or two.

So it could be cow's milk but could also be tomato (her reaction after the moussaka was too great for the small amount of cheese in the meal). She'd had a little cube of cheese about 15 minutes beforehand with NO reaction.

Just want to know if this is going to get worse OR hopefully better.

Beetroot Mon 21-Mar-05 09:35:10

Message withdrawn

Chandra Mon 21-Mar-05 09:49:42

DS gets rashes when he eats tomatoes, especially in the areas of the skin were he had contact with it. He also develops rashes when he eats potatoes and a high amount of protein in a single day(like egg in lunch+fish at dinner, or beef + fish). Another wird thing of his reactions is that he has worse reactions with Heinz baked beans' tomato sauce than to other brands.

muminlondon Mon 21-Mar-05 09:51:40

Have had that from tomato too and from yoghurt. But that's not necessarily an allergy but a surface skin reaction to the acidity or sugar content of the food and/or bacteria left by food on the face, in my opinion. I think it gets better when they are less messy eaters.

muminlondon Mon 21-Mar-05 09:56:02

Heinz baked beans are very sugary unless they are the diet ones, so that could make a difference?

Chandra Mon 21-Mar-05 09:58:40

We normally had the diet ones as the salt and sugar content was lower than in standard ones. I have not dared to try the standard ones yet... well, actually, the GP asked us not to avoid tomato and this has been the tomato free house for 3 weeks... You woin't believe how much I miss the italian food we used to cook...

Chandra Mon 21-Mar-05 09:59:17

sorry... I meant "asked us TO avoid tomato"

RosiePosie Mon 21-Mar-05 10:07:23

My dd ( now 16 months ) has that reaction with cows milk. She has been drinking Goat's milk for the past few months which is fine.

muminlondon Mon 21-Mar-05 10:11:46

it could just be the tomato then. But I don't think you need to avoid foods unless it gives diahrroea or wheezing, or bad ecsema or something. A rash which goes after an hour sounds more like an irritation of the skin through direct contact - that's what my dd has had and it improved when she stopped having purees.

geogteach Mon 21-Mar-05 19:19:15

DD has cows milk intolerence which caused severe constipation, since we have avoided it we have realised that milk also causes her facial rash and in her case goats milk causes the same reaction. She tolerates small quanities of cheese but n ot milk or yoghurt. Have been told she will orobably grow out of it by 5.

cornishbird Mon 21-Mar-05 20:03:26

hi, my ds, now nearly 2 is intolerant to cows milk. first noticed when weaning gave him tiny bit of cheese & eczema flared up immediately. Also managed to get hold of dregs of mug of tea & touched his lips with it, immediately developed white blotches around lips/mouth. v scary! have seen paed dietician who says most but not all kids grow out of it by 2ish. has soya instead. also itchy skin reaction to sesame seeds. i think tomato allergy is quite common too.

CountessDracula Mon 21-Mar-05 20:30:57

Think sophable may be able to help you on this one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now