Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Air purifiers: of demonstrable scientific benefit or a load of bolleaux?

(13 Posts)
morningpaper Tue 28-Oct-08 21:54:59

What is the consensus?

BoysAreLikeZombies Tue 28-Oct-08 22:01:50

I think bolleaux

morningpaper Wed 29-Oct-08 11:12:50

any more suggestions? I Want To Believe

nickytwooootimes Wed 29-Oct-08 11:13:31

Utter bolleaux.

IMVHO

BigAxeToChopOffYourThread Wed 29-Oct-08 11:26:18

We put this thing on ds's bedroom wall. I think its an ioniser. It attracts all the dust onto a piece of paper, then you change the paper. Its very good. Ds's room hardly ever gets dusty. He was a 'happy wheezer', and it really improved his breathing.

DesperateHousewifeToo Wed 29-Oct-08 11:34:57

I've always wondered this too, morningpaper.

Have those who think they are a load of tosh tried them? Or like me, just thinking they sound too good to be truesmile

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Wed 29-Oct-08 11:37:02

got one for ds1. severe dust mite allergy, asthma.

Seems to help a bit.

don't use ioniser if anyone has asthma in the house.

DesperateHousewifeToo Wed 29-Oct-08 11:48:07

What is the difference between an air purefier and ioniser?

Sorry, hope you don't think I'm hijacking thread mp blush

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Wed 29-Oct-08 11:49:49

a lot of air purifiers come with ionisers on them like the one we have. Most you can turn the ioniser off like one we have.

iirc ioniser releases negative ions into the air which attract dust and it makes it easier for air purifier to suck them up. But someone correct me if I'm wrong.

morningpaper Wed 29-Oct-08 20:37:31

HMmmmmm

Is there any actual EVIDENCE?

tatt Wed 29-Oct-08 21:48:23

looked at this once and there was evidence that they worked - but they were only much use if you

a. bought the really expensive american one that wasn't available here at the time

b. cleaned and/or replaced the filters often.

Can't be bothered to search it out again but google hard and you should find something.

From personal experience the medinose type device or a dehumidifier may be more use to you, depends why you want it.

TheFallenMadonna Wed 29-Oct-08 21:51:48

No idea about allergies, but found this, which is interesting, but a long time ago...

jazzandh Thu 30-Oct-08 19:05:54

we bought bionaire with an ioniser.Dh normally wakes coughing and wheezing at about 4am every morning in the early hayfever months, Feb to May.

Put it in bedroom and it has made a huge difference. Symptoms far more manageable, and he didn't wake coughing and sneezing once. Also provided a haven where he calmed down if symptoms bad.

Would reccomend!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now