Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Urgent help needed: How do you say "DS has a nut allergy in German????

(15 Posts)
Chandra Wed 09-Mar-05 18:09:00

Does anybody knwo how to translate the following phrases into German:

- Nut traces
-Arachis oil
- DS has a nut allergy and can't eat anything with nuts and peanuts in it
- Anaphylaxis shock

and

-Somebody ring an ambulance.

We are leaving for GErmany tomorrow, and somebody told me it was a good idea to write these phrases in cards as I don't speak German.

Does anybody know hot to translate them?

Chandra Wed 09-Mar-05 18:10:53

Appologies for the inflamatory title, I have not realised it sound so alarmist until I posted it . It is only urgent because we are leaving tomorrow.

LIZS Wed 09-Mar-05 18:11:24

You need JJ - I'm sure she'll know.

littlemissbossy Wed 09-Mar-05 18:12:41

Ich bin allergisch gegen Nüsse - means I am allergic to nuts, so he is is "Er ist"... sorry my German's a bit rusty

littlemissbossy Wed 09-Mar-05 18:15:14

Chandra, also have a look on www.allergyadvice.org and click on advice - translations on there in various languages.
HTH

Blu Wed 09-Mar-05 18:27:59

Bump

Chandra Wed 09-Mar-05 18:41:56

Thanks BLu and LMB, I have checked those cards today but I doubt they can arrive by tomorrow (Should have thought of this earlier....)

Chandra Wed 09-Mar-05 19:20:32

bump

huppa Wed 09-Mar-05 19:24:13

Hi I´m in Germany and dh is German, so hope this helps
Nut traces - Spuren von Nuss

Arachis oil- Sorry dh doesn´t know this, but oil is Öl

ds has..... Er hat eine Nussallergie und darf nichts mit Erdnüssen essen.

Anaphylaxis shock - Anaphylaktischer Schock

somebody ring an ambulance - Bitte rufen Sie den Notarzt und Krankenwagen

Chandra Thu 10-Mar-05 01:56:39

Thank you very much Huppa and Mr Huppa. I have taken note of them.

One last thing how do you say Peanuts?

Bearess Thu 10-Mar-05 02:05:31

erdnusse (should be an umlaut on the u as in huppa's post below but can not do on PC) is peanuts, nusse (same) is nuts. have a good time.

bobbybob Thu 10-Mar-05 02:10:12

arachis should be the same as is latin name for peanut.

When you hand over the card look very solemn. I found that helped, well at least all the czech women (in my case) had a big huddle before feeding me.

Chandra Thu 10-Mar-05 02:33:02

Thank you Bearess and Babbybob. It seems I'm ready (I think) for the trip, at least on this.
Thanks

brownowl Fri 01-Jul-05 18:19:27

The allergyadvice url mentioned earlier with relation to food allergy translations in German and other languages doesn't seem to be available anymore. www.dietarycard.co.uk have for a long time been providing a chef card (which can be used in supermarkets as well as restaurants) service for children and adults with food allergies who want to holiday abroad.

tatt Sat 02-Jul-05 05:45:08

this site is still available, just be careful not to add .uk I couldn't get it first go but tried again later and it was back. Here's the German page

http://www.allergyaction.org/allergyaction1German.htm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now