Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Worth delaying dairy if on formula milk?

(4 Posts)
Stagiaire Fri 04-Mar-05 19:18:00

This might be a bit of a stupid question, but if a baby is on cow's milk formula (without any allergenic response) is there any point delaying dairy in their solids? I presume the same allergenic protein that is in normal dairy is also in formula? Therefore, if a baby doesn't react badly to formula would it be safe to go ahead and introduce the dairy?

NotQuiteCockney Fri 04-Mar-05 19:37:07

I think I read something recently saying they change the milk protein in formula a bit, to make it less likely to cause reactions. In which case, delaying is still worthwhile.

jabberwocky Fri 04-Mar-05 19:55:54

DS was on dairy formula 1/2 and 1/2 with bm and still did not do well when we tried cow's milk at 13 months. In fact, he has only just started to tolerate it at 18 months.

Distracted Fri 04-Mar-05 19:57:57

My dd developed a temporary intolerance to dairy after a bout of gastroenteritis, when she was about 6-7 months. I had to cut out all cows milk products (yoghurts, cheese etc.)to prevent her having permanent diarrhoea, but she was still drinking formula milk and that didn't have the same effect. So there is presumably a difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now