Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

9 month old allergic to Diary & Egg - help with recipes

(14 Posts)
littlemum2 Sat 11-Oct-08 17:44:03

Hello. My 9 month old has is allergic to egg and dairy. Could anyone help with some cooking suggestions. She eats lots of fruit, veg, fish and meat but what about desserts? My dietian said you can cook with formula - has anyone tried this? Fortunately my daughter doesn't react to Hipp Organic Formula. Could I make mash potatoe with it or rice pudding?
Thank you for your help

luckylady74 Sat 11-Oct-08 20:57:27

My friend uses formula as did I a while ago now -
I made white sauce for fish pie,
bread and butter pudding,
fruit porridge is nice (literally just berries,water, sugar and oats,
smoothies frozen into lollies is a nice pudding - Annabel Karmel did some small moulds,
rice pudding is fab!
Can you check if any soya yoghurts and so onb are suitable for her age - I'm sure they'll have help lines.
In fact the formula help lines are very good - give hipp a ring!

themildmannneredjanitor Sat 11-Oct-08 20:59:31

the diary should be easy to avoid until she is about 14 i think. it's not normally till then that children feel the need to write down their innermost thoughts.
when the time comes maybe a dictaphone so she can make tapes would work?

gringringrin

kalo12 Sat 11-Oct-08 21:03:15

hipp organic do a banana rice pudding that doesn't contain milk, my 8 month ds loves it.

btw, if allergic to dairy how come hipp organic formula is ok?

my ds also seems allergic/intolerant to dairy / cows milk formulas, i want to stop bf-ing cos he wakes every hour in the night.

did you have it diagnosed?

Weta Mon 13-Oct-08 23:10:14

I just give fruit for desserts - pureed or fresh chopped up once he could cope with that. Did the same with DS1, and then soy yoghurts once he was a bit older.

I'm sure you could make mashed potatoes with the formula, not sure about rice pudding as I've never really used formula.

I also used to make cakes by using dairy free margarine (Pure I think in the UK) and an egg substitute (get it from a health food shop), although I think in the UK you can get dairy/egg free biscuits etc. It's a bit crumbly with the egg substitute but not too bad.

Do you need any other suggestions for things? It's all a bit of a nightmare to get your head round to start with! and it was a great relief when my DS1 grew out of the egg allergy at age 2 as now we just have the dairy to contend with.

Weta

AbricotsSecs Mon 13-Oct-08 23:16:00

Message withdrawn

littlemum2 Thu 16-Oct-08 08:45:55

Thank you so much for all your suggestions. They are really helpful. I've just made rice pudding with formula and I think it tastes all right!!

My daughter was seen at Kings allergy clinic and had a skin prick test last week. They think that because she is tolerating Hipp Organic milk, that she is probably already growing out of the allergy. They want me to slowly try introducing diary but only when I've stopped breastfeeding and she's totally happy on all formula. Has anyone else had this experience?

Thanks again for your helps. Much appreciated.

littlemum2 Thu 16-Oct-08 09:57:51

sorry - one more question...

I want to make my daughter some pasta and sauce. What is dairy-free cheese like? I've heard it's different to normal cheese. Could I grate it on pasta? Does it melt???

Thanks again.

AbricotsSecs Fri 17-Oct-08 10:12:48

Message withdrawn

simpson Fri 31-Oct-08 21:04:01

My 8mth DD seems to have a dairy intolerance. She manages formula ok (but only cow & gate) Cannot give soy either.

We have been referred to a paed so waiting for appt.

Just want to say thanks to whoever recommended hipp banana rice pudding grinbought LOADS of it today smile am fed up of giving DD fruit ALL the time and her little bum is sore.

What kind of things do you give your Los for pudding??

Cheers!!!

Mummymoo178 Mon 03-Nov-08 22:13:21

I have been through these troubles and dd is now 2 and is even harder to keep on a dairy and Egg Free diet however try partywiz.com and parsleysoup.com for recipes also searching for vegan desserts on google brings up hundreds of recipes.

The Banana muffins are a must and dd nursery have now started serving them to all children as low in sugar based on how much the recipe makes.

MissAnthrope Mon 03-Nov-08 22:16:03

If you're looking for dairy and egg free recipes why not have a look in your local library for vegan cookbooks?

Also agree with above that parselysoup is a great site smile

PeachyFizzesLikeADampSquibb Mon 03-Nov-08 22:20:44

Hiya

Have a gluten and dairy free 7 mnth old, same 8 year old and dairey free 5yr old and me.

I use the alpro desserts a lot, are they egg free? coz if so they are delicious

baked banana blended or masjhed with df choccy buttons (littlest is banana allergic though- drat)

Cooking with formula is absolutely fine- remember to baance the taste (if soya some are very sweet, some are quite the opposite now and need sugar adding in desserts).

Almond milk is fab for cooking with in rice puddings etc, by the way. Yum.

Watch the organic formula- my experience is that it's OK for a while then they start to react, at least ds1 did.

PeachyFizzesLikeADampSquibb Mon 03-Nov-08 22:21:45

DF cheese- yuck! I wouldn't, personally. Doesn't melt well either.

Now DF ice cream (glace) is fab but dont know if it has eggs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now