Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

how do you go about getting an allergy test?

(3 Posts)
nappyaddict Thu 09-Oct-08 00:19:22

i want to get ds tested for a nut allergy. his dad has a nut allergy so i have never given him nuts but i feel it is a shame to ban him from nuts for the rest of his life if he might not actually be allergic. can you get tested without actually having had a rection yet? if so how do i go about it?

MeMySonAndI Thu 09-Oct-08 00:26:53

Not really, allergies can happen at any time and the test looks for antibodies to nuts, if he has not had any contact with nuts it is unlikely for him to have an allergy. Unfortunately, test don't show who is at risk or developing one or not...

The resources for allergy testing are quite limited. DS had a reaction to peanuts and it took 18 months to get an appointment for testing. I doubt you will get a referral if there has not been any reaction.

nappyaddict Thu 09-Oct-08 00:28:44

he has probably indirectly had contact with nuts - he's just never had actual nuts, nutella or peanut butter - the obvious nutty things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now