Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Just found out that FIL has a life threatening allergy to fish

(15 Posts)
AnguaVonUberwald Mon 29-Sep-08 10:07:17

I always knew that FIL was allergic to fish, but kind of assumed it was just one of those "comes out in spots" things.

Turns out its really serious and life threatening. He even reacts to chips from chip shops because the same oil was used.

DH is not allergic to fish, but his nephew (14) has started to develop an allergy.

DS is 6 months, when and how should I introduce him to fish? (my current thinking is in the carpark by A&E grin)

AnguaVonUberwald Mon 29-Sep-08 10:16:23

BUMP!

loobeylou Mon 29-Sep-08 14:27:33

have you asked yr health visitor or GP, they might be able to advise you, I totally understand why you need to know as have a friend with sea food allergic little one who even reacts through the skin if she picks up a crab on the beach, tongue swelling, going floppy,the works!! Also had allergic friend at uni who was allergic to fish oils in margerines. you need to make sure his first exposures are controlled and that you don't find out due to "accidental" contamination, though I think it is likely to be the second time when the allergy hits, because the first time is what primes the body to react (but don't quote me on that!)

also remember allergies can begin at any age,as you know from nephews case, my sister became seriously allergic to peanuts in her 20's, with absolutely no other family history of this

sorry not to be more help, but you are right to be concerned

AnguaVonUberwald Mon 29-Sep-08 15:59:16

Thanks loobylou, I am going to talk to my docotor, but was wondering if anyone on mumsnet had any experiance of this.

I think you are right, its the second exposure where they react!!

Its just very scary the thought of trying him on fish at all.

Also very good point about it starting at any age!

AnguaVonUberwald Mon 29-Sep-08 17:48:53

bump for anyone else

strawberrycornetto Mon 29-Sep-08 19:43:08

Not sure if it helps but my DS is allergic to milk and the dietician advised me not to introduce him to fish until 12 months because its a common allergen. On that basis, you might want to wait until he's 12 months old before you try him.

wb Mon 29-Sep-08 19:49:44

I can see why you are worried but it is usually the tendency to be allergic that is inherited rather than a specific allergy.

Having said that I was allergic to fish as a child (and outgrew it, which is rare) and I will be waiting til 10 mo to try ds2 with fish (he is 7 mo now).

Ds1 is allergic to dairy and peanuts but not sesame, fish, eggs, tree nuts or any of the other usual food allergens out there, so trying to predict what a child may be allergic to is very hit and miss. Having said that tho, neither of my boys will be getting kiwi cause half my family is allergic to it.

AnguaVonUberwald Tue 30-Sep-08 07:11:50

OK, thats very interesting, as DH has hayfever, so presumably its all the same "tendency".

Very interesting about waiting till the 10/12 month time as well.

I guess what scares me is that htis is your real - killer allergy that FIL has, will talk to the doctor about what to do.

lou031205 Tue 30-Sep-08 09:00:16

^Very Useful Information wink

Sorry, couldn't resist. Awful to joke about really.

I would agree that GP might be able to point you in the right direction.

mawbroon Tue 30-Sep-08 09:07:14

IIRC then children from an allergic backround shouldn't have fish (and eggs and prob a host of other things) until at least 12 months. I think shellfish is even later, like 3 I think

AnguaVonUberwald Tue 30-Sep-08 09:11:03

Lou, that is true, it would have been worse not to have known!

Mawbroon, Oh god, I had better get to the doctors quickly, to find out these details! Thanks for letting me know!

mawbroon Tue 30-Sep-08 09:17:59

Don't be surprised if the GP doesn't have a clue btw.

Don't have time just now, but will see if I can find a list for you.

I was given one by my LLL leader and it gave a guide for all sorts of foods.

GP is also unlikely to do anything or refer you on until your DS has a reaction.

MinkyBorage Tue 30-Sep-08 09:21:08

A friend of mine was rushed to hospital suffering a life threatening reaction to eating tuna when he was about 30 years old after eating fish all his life. Don't know whether that's normal, or freakish though.

AnguaVonUberwald Wed 01-Oct-08 15:09:21

Mawbroon, I would appreciate anything you have, apparently FILs allergy is really rare as its just to sea fish, not shell fish!

ToughDaddy Wed 01-Oct-08 21:35:19

My son has has anaphylatic reaction to normal fish and been in the ambulance. The problem with allergies is that some people are just intolerant and some people are seriously allegic so when you say that you are allergic then people tend to assume intolerance except for peanuts where people assume that you are seriously allergic. We out to make the terminology clearer. All of my children have severe food allergies (not peanuts) so I always have to explain.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: