Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dairy free recipes for my class ?

(11 Posts)
mumto2andnomore Tue 23-Sep-08 14:37:57

Im a teacher (and mum ) and have a child in my class this year who is severely allergic to milk.I teach Reception so we usually do lots of cooking but Im struggling to find recipes for things to make without dairy which will also be appealing to 4 and 5 year olds. Any ideas? Websites etc ?
Thanks in advance.

foxytocin Tue 23-Sep-08 14:40:25

banana bread.

Carmenere Tue 23-Sep-08 14:41:33

Flapjacks with marg are pretty good

Peachy Tue 23-Sep-08 14:44:42

ditto the above

most things can be made with dairy free amrge though- look for Pure in supermarkets, they all stock at least one type (organic is most buttery ime)

TheProvincialLady Tue 23-Sep-08 14:47:46

Cornflake/rice crispy cakes made with Lindt or Green and Black's dark chocolate should be nice and simple AND appeal to any poncy parents you may have.

WhirlingStirling Tue 23-Sep-08 16:40:30

these oaty cookies are yummy - just use the Pure spread that Tesco's/Sainsburys sell - My dd loves them (she is allergic to dairy & egg).

mumto2andnomore Tue 23-Sep-08 20:05:10

Thank you all ! Didnt now you could get dairy free margarine, that makes things a lot easier.
Can we use dark chocolate then, doesnt that contain milk ?
Those cookies sound nice.
xxx

Clure Tue 23-Sep-08 20:15:59

Some dark choc contains milk - check label. Other dairy free alternatives - soya or rice milk can be used in recipes, soya cream too.

Peachy Tue 23-Sep-08 21:02:38

Love your name whirling (ds2 is a Stirling, known to us as Whirly grin)

Wonder ing if rice milk is better than soya here, as lots of kids are soya allergic as well? Not that mine are (4 of us dairy intol types here!) but often tis so

Scootergrrrl Tue 23-Sep-08 21:08:16

We made this at DD's nursery so a little boy with allergies could be included with everyone else. We used bun cases and less cooking time and it turned out pretty well.

TheProvincialLady Tue 23-Sep-08 22:30:38

Yes, those dark chocolates are dairy free and widely available. I used to live on Lindt when I was vegan many moons ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now