Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Contamination with wheat at school - who/how to approach school

(8 Posts)
wangle99 Sun 21-Sep-08 17:11:56

DS has just started reception at local primary school. He takes packed lunches prepared by me but eats with other children.

His teacher and TA are aware of his wheat allergy - I gave them a guideline sheet of what is likely to affect him in the classroom apart from food he is eating ie playdough, pasta play etc.

He was somehow contaminated with wheat on Friday, he says he didn't eat anyone else's food (which I believe as he's very good) so must be something else. Do I just leave it? Speak to someone?

TBH I'm not really sure what they could do but obviously DS can't go on being exposed to wheat, it makes him poo himself and he's poorly sad

Any advice gratefully received. Thank you.

Peachy Sun 21-Sep-08 17:14:52

ah we've had his with dairy- sympathies!

have they got a photo of him and an alert notice up in the staffroom? that ensures all staff- inc. cover- see it.

There is a point though at which you have no control sad. DS3 was given a milk carton by a dinner lady who just forgot-b what can you do? <<sigh>>

lottiejenkins Sun 21-Sep-08 17:16:03

I would have a word with his class teacher and see if she can shed some light on it I wouldnt just leave it as allergies should be taken seriously i know i have one to nuts!!....... hope your ds is feeling better soon!

loobeylou Sun 21-Sep-08 17:26:49

How is your son affected, does he have to eat the wheat? could he have inhaled flour from baking, or in the canteen area if the cooks make bread? or just touched something?

lick and stick shapes and envelopes? (I know these are not recommended for coeliacs as they can contain gluten, not sure if fully wheat/how yr son would be affected)

are they expected to eat lunch from tables others have used and are crumby?

dd is coeliac, so am aware of the worries/contamination issues. Are you sure he could not have eaten something they assumed to be wheatfree without checking eg crisps, cereal?

also friends often bring in sweets to share on birthdays?

wangle99 Sun 21-Sep-08 18:32:04

Thank you for your replies.

As far as we are aware at present it is purely through ingesting however he sucks his thumb so things that might not be considered 'risks' are if he kepts them on his hands.

They don't have a kitchen on site and haven't done baking in the classroom yet.

I didn't know about the lick and stick shapes - will check this out. And yes, DS does eat on a table full of other children eating wheat food. This is how I suspect he has been contaminated - but I really don't want him to be isolated.

loobeylou - does your daughter eat alone at school to prevent contamination? I know nothing DS had for his lunch had wheat in, I check every every week when I buy it just in case its changed (blush yes a bit anal perhaps but you never know)

Oh and DS hasn't had anything shared on birthdays - stuff has been brought in but nothing given to him.

loobeylou Sun 21-Sep-08 18:49:55

Wangle - my dd does not eat alone but knows to be careful herself (she is 8 so more able to keep a check on things)- she keeps the food in her lunchbox and does not eat anything she accidentally drops on the table.

you are absolutely right about keeping checking labels! a pain but a necessity!

MrsWeasley Sun 21-Sep-08 18:54:43

I think you should speak to the teacher just to make her aware and ask if she can throw some light on it.
In our school we keep a folder of children who we need to be aware of but its down to the individual(supply teacher, TA etc) to check and make themselves aware.

tatt Sun 21-Sep-08 19:58:24

really difficult if you haven't any idea how it happened.

Maybe have a look at some of the digestive enzymes around to see if they could help when he accidentally gets contaminated/ be taken as a precation against contamination? There is a site caleld Mandimart that sells powders but you may find others if you google gluten and enzyme.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now