Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Just started school and has a rash - what is more likely to be the culprit - school dress or the chairs?

(10 Posts)
DrFunkenstein Thu 18-Sep-08 20:37:00

DD has an itchy rash on the underside of both legs (at the top) since starting school this September.

I'm not sure what is causing it but from it's location, I'm suspecting either her school dresses or the plastic chairs at school.

Does anyone know if either of these things commonly cause such a reaction?

TIA

thisisyesterday Thu 18-Sep-08 20:40:07

hmm I used to get itchy legs from sitting on plastic chairs. think it's a sweaty heat thing

DrFunkenstein Thu 18-Sep-08 20:51:53

Yes, it does sort of look like it could be that tbh. Wonder what I can do to stop it - she's getting sore from scratching.......hmm scratch mits maybe grin

tinytalker Thu 18-Sep-08 21:19:41

It could be the dress. They seem to be adding Teflon and other stain repellants to school uniforms now which can contain chemicals such as formaldyhide (SP?) which can cause allergic reactions.
I guess you will have to put creams on and check her skin over the weekend when she's not in uniform and then again after a couple of days wearing it. This might giv eyou an answer.
Good luck.

loobeylou Sat 20-Sep-08 23:59:50

little kids spend a lot of time sitting on the carpet in front of teacher, so might it be that, the fabric or a cleaning fluid? Or sitting on the polished floor in school hall?
also my dd reacts if she sits on grass,the bare bits get a rash - another possibility?

DrFunkenstein Sun 21-Sep-08 14:06:51

Thanks for the replies smile.

The dress is just the standard scratchy school material stuff - it's a Tesco's own one so has nothing as exciting as stain repellants

I also thought about the carpets, floors etc - they can react to all sorts of things can't they - just not sure where to start now. I would put her in tights but I think it would irritate it even more (plus we have nice warm weather shock).

It hasn't got any better over the weekend sad. Might take her to the docs and see what he thinks.

What sort of cream should I put on it to help? She has very sensitive skin.

Chandra Sun 21-Sep-08 22:21:43

I would have thought stress, it also causes eczema to flare. By this I am not saying that your child is having a bad time but perhaps is still a bit anxious about the new situation.

madmummy4 Mon 22-Sep-08 18:03:25

My youngest started to get a really nasty rash every time she went to school, it woul dclear up over the weekend and then by Monday evening she was red raw in her legs.I pulle dthe teacher to ask about chairs carpets etc as it didn't start until the summer term.It tirned out to be the grass a, she was in nursery and they were having milk time on the grass!They kindly took amat out in future for her and it never came back.
She already has very mild eczema so i am careful already over what she wear, go for cotton as much as you can.

ToughDaddy Mon 22-Sep-08 21:48:38

does the school have old dusty carpets? Dust mites could trigger ezcema?

mera2 Fri 10-Oct-08 14:15:32

my 4 year old's eczema has errupted since starting reception, relly itchy legs, ireckon it's a combination of a dirty carpet on class floor, teflon uniform, cough virus and stress

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now