Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has anyone ever heard of a child being allergic to toothpaste?

(21 Posts)
bodiddly Wed 17-Sep-08 21:39:55

Ds (3.5) has started saying that toothpaste makes his mouth/tongue hurt ... has anyone heard of this? He has fruit allergies, much like me .. and one of the symptoms is a sore tongue/mouth. I am not sure whether to take this seriously and try to find an alternative or whether he is just trying to get out of brushing his teeth!

misi Wed 17-Sep-08 21:40:40

yes, frequently.
what toothpaste does he use?

bodiddly Wed 17-Sep-08 21:42:43

aquafresh milk teeth - he has been using it since he started brushing his teeth!

bodiddly Wed 17-Sep-08 21:43:54

do you know of any others we could try or what it is in the paste that people tend to be allergic to?

choccypig Wed 17-Sep-08 21:44:25

Yes, DS used to get a sore mouth from the "gel" kinds. He's on McLeans "Big Teeth" now, which seems much better.

bodiddly Wed 17-Sep-08 21:46:01

The one he is using is a traditional paste rather than gel type ... will have to have a troll around tesco and see what they have I guess

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 17-Sep-08 21:48:53

Califrau suffers from this - or her dcs do.

loobeylou Wed 17-Sep-08 21:49:22

Well, over the summer hols DS,3, had hives for about 3 weeks solid, appearing randomly all over him at various times of day and we tried putting it down to all sorts of fruit/juice overload BUT also had got a different kids toothpaste to what we normally have, and wondered if it was that as he is fine now and eating as much fruit as ever! I can't remember what it was called but it was a red box in the same "set" as the kids ones that were mcleans and now seem to be aquafresh

he might just mean the mintiness stings tho, if has sore tongue or lips? he might have mouth ulcers which are being aggravated?

bodiddly Wed 17-Sep-08 21:51:53

I know that ds has problems with fruit as he comes up with spots all over and gets a sore mouth etc and I have problems with most types of fruit so I guess it is fairly likely that he may be allergic/intolerant. I will have to take him to get tested .. just want to leave it a little while as he is a bit freaked by doctors and hospitals at the moment due to a broken arm!

misi Wed 17-Sep-08 21:54:26

www.soorganic.com/home.php?cat=202&gclid=CPPwuqTZ45UCFQyN1Qodc15peQ

www.greenpeople.co.uk/childrens-mandarin-toothpaste-50ml.aspx?gclid=CMfgp7jZ45UCFQ6S1Qod-0tweA

www.babykind.co.uk/gttoothcare.htm

fluoride.ecobytes.net/Alert/United-States/National/Toothpaste-How-Safe

a few sites to look at, I prefer the green people mandarin well my son does (I have used it by 'accident sometimes too, very nice!!) but if he has a fruit intolerance it may well be better to go for the minty ones.
the main allergens in kids toothpastes can be flurides, SLS (sodium lauryl sulphates) and menthols although some 'mainstream' pastes have all manner of things in them, some sweetners can also cause the symptoms you mention, they can cause a tightening of the skin in and around the mouth so go for an organic, non sweetened fluride free paste!!

(my north african friends use liquorice root. they break the end off and rub around their teeth, they have the healthiest teeth I have seen and they use no paste at all and they eat some real sugary crap too!! I tried it but couldn't stand it)

bodiddly Wed 17-Sep-08 21:58:16

thank you misi .. are you a dentist by any chance?

misi Wed 17-Sep-08 22:25:28

no, a medical herbalist

misi Wed 17-Sep-08 22:27:01

oops, somehow deleted the ''you are welcome'' part of the above post hmm

bodiddly Thu 18-Sep-08 10:11:00

will try the health food shop for some of those alternatives and see if I can find one of the mint ones! thanks again

alibubbles Thu 18-Sep-08 10:21:18

Toothpaste gives me similar symptoms, and as MISI says it is the SLS, ulcerwe, sore toungue etc. When I gave up these sort of toothpastes I alos stopped having IVBS and migraines.

I Sarakan from Holland and Barrrett which is derived from a natural root that Africans use apparently

alibubbles Thu 18-Sep-08 10:23:03

Gosh, should have previewed, but baby was crying. I use Sarakan and I had IBS!

pagwatch Thu 18-Sep-08 10:24:32

SLS drives my son who has ASD into a frenzy

misi Thu 18-Sep-08 11:02:19

sarakan is based on liquorice which in its raw state as a root is what my north african friends use, its excellent stuff but make sure you get the kids one rather than the standard adult one due to the ingredient make up.

bodiddly Thu 18-Sep-08 21:02:55

I may try the liquorice one but I am not convinced he will like the taste! thanks for your help though.

misi Fri 19-Sep-08 12:14:34

no, liquorice is not something I can use either, I really dislike the taste and smell of it. I have just sprinkled one of my borders with shredded liquorice root, not a good smell for me out there at the moment sad
green people ones are the best I think, my son loves them, nice to taste and good cleaners.

ifits Mon 22-Sep-08 08:54:50

you should try BioXtra You can order it from the dentist.

I have Crohns and can't use toothpaste without my mouth breaking out in ulcers and sores, BioXtra was recomended to me by my sister who is a dental hygienist.

It is also very good for people with dry mouths. it contains non of the foaming agent - sodium Laraul sulphate. that's the one thing that can cause mouth ulcers

i have forgotten a few time to take the toothpaste with me and have used "normal ones".. Evertime my mouth breaks out, my teeeth hurts and it gets to the stage where i can't eat because everthing hurts too much.

Give it a try, you might find it helps. i know it helps me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now