Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gluten-free breakfast ideas for me - need some cheering advice!

(17 Posts)
noonki Mon 15-Sep-08 09:52:43

After a month of Wheat free, decided to go the whole hog and go gluten-free, (am a bit gutted about it all but is making me feel a lot better after months of undiagnosed illness)

I'm ok about ideas for dinner, but can't think what to replace my porridge and toast

rice crispies just don't do it,
I have tried one gluten-free muesli and it was like sawdust...

anyone got any suggestions for relatively easy to prepare breakfasts?

BlueBumedFly Mon 15-Sep-08 10:55:51

How about a lovely berry mix with dried fruits, gluten free cereal (something crunchy) and some yogurt.... does yogurt have gluten? Maybe some nice greek yogurt with honey and raisins?

NikkiH Mon 15-Sep-08 10:57:10

Oats themselves don't contain gluten, it's the fact that they may be contaminated with other cereals grown nearby that make them unsuitable for some gluten free eaters. You can get oats which claim to be uncontaminated so you could still have your porridge.

Other ideas could be fruit and yoghurt; cooked foods like pancakes (made with gluten-free flour); bacon, eggs, beans, gluten-free sausage.

My son is gluten intolerant but we get bread, flour etc on prescription so his breakfasts tend to be more traditional (toast etc) like ours. Most supermarkets now do a free from range but the breads / flours / muffins / crumpets etc tend to be a bit pricey.

HTH

pagwatch Mon 15-Sep-08 10:58:52

you can make gf pancakes with maple syrup or with fresh fruit which all my kids love. ( make them yourselfthough - mixes are bleuur).

Bacon and eggs smile.

kingprawntikka Mon 15-Sep-08 13:08:09

My son is gluten/ wheat free. He has bacon, gluten free crackers , fruit and cheese, or scrambled eggs in a gluten free english muffin. The doves farm cornflakes are nice too.

noonki Mon 15-Sep-08 14:17:15

thanks for the ideas everyone

that's great to know about the oats nikkih,
just been to asda and got a load of berries/yoghurt

and found a recipe for gf pancakes

eggs good way forward too!

noonki Mon 15-Sep-08 14:17:57

kingprawntikka - can I not just have kelloggs cornflakes? - do they have gluten in?

bramblebooks Mon 15-Sep-08 14:39:43

Kellogs cornflakes may have malt extract in, this has gluten in it. If you are very sensitive to gluten this may be a problem.

bramblebooks Mon 15-Sep-08 14:40:35

useful website

loobeylou Mon 15-Sep-08 14:42:24

noonki - most kelloggs cereals, and many supermarket own brands too, contain barley malt extract which some gluten sensitive or coeliac people still react to. ( as barley contains gluten)also the problem of contamination in the production line as so many cereals are wheat based

depends on the level of your sensitivity...have you been tested for coeliac?

cmotdibbler Mon 15-Sep-08 14:46:31

I like the Vogels GF cereal. Gorilla Munch and Koala Crisp are nice too - not so keen on Doves Farm choc stars, but quite good.

I have only found one gluten free muesli from these people which is edible.

I do buy the eye wateringly expensive gf oats, but save them for a treat.

Otherwise I buy gf bread, muffins, and hot cross buns from the supermarket

noonki Mon 15-Sep-08 18:24:50

Bramblebrooks - thanks for the website link that has been really useful

loobeylou - thanks for the clarification - I have been tested for Coeliac, and the biopsy came back negative, but after the test I gave up wheat and since then some of my symptoms (huge bloated stomach, bad indigestion, plum throat) has massively gone down

but I still am really fatigued/achy and dizzy, so am going to try gluten free having read more about it.

cmotdibbler - thanks for the link, will order the oats and museli and cereals now...

tatt Mon 15-Sep-08 20:55:34

noonki - I have similar problems except I didn't get as far as the biopsy because I didn't want to feel ill again. Unfortunately I haven't lost the stomach but I feel so much better on a gluten free diet.

My suggestion is buckwheat pancakes. Look in a health food store for the flour. It is naturally sweet and my family prefer it. I made pancakes for me and now they all eat them!

I have tried quinoa but it just doesn't work for me, however you can get quinoa flakes and mix with fresh and/or dried fruit.

My other suggestion is Biocare Glutenzyme Plus. These are enzymes that digest gluten. With them I can eat foods containing gluten and not feel shattered. I'm not convinced they would work long term but I used them on holiday when it was difficult to get gluten free food. Might allow you to cope with any contamination in porridge.

Rebexus Mon 15-Sep-08 21:00:40

I saw some GF Spelt Flakes in Waitrose this afternoon. They looked nice - although don't know what they taste like - I think they were £2:75 a box. (Have a friend with gluten intolerance so was going to tell her)

cmotdibbler Tue 16-Sep-08 11:03:36

Spelt isn't gluten or wheat free though - some people who are wheat intolerant can cope with it, but not all and its def not gluten free.

nightcat Tue 16-Sep-08 22:55:49

When U make pancakes, mash up a banana into the mix, you can also add raisins etc and ground flax seeds are also a great and healthy addition (no taste, but a lot of goodness), U can also add ground nuts (almonds or grind own) to the mix and of course an egg. You can make it with gf flour + egg etc.

You can make mix a tad thicker and thinly chop up apples for blini-like apple & banana fritters (add cinnamon or vanilla).

Omelette with all sorts of fillings, inc olives..

Try not to rely on carbs alone too much, they are not that nutritious and U need the best nutrients U can get to speed up recovery.

Rebexus Wed 17-Sep-08 13:39:43

Oh no - sorry about the Spelt - I thought it was

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now