Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

10 month old with dark green, mucousy diarrhea

(7 Posts)
likessleep Sun 14-Sep-08 12:41:02

Hi, I've been a bit cheeky and posted this in childrens health too, but thinking about it, I am hopeful I may get some advice here too!
My DS has had loose stools for quite a few days now.
Today he has so far had 3 bouts of diarrhea, all of which have been runny/watery, very dark green and with stretchy mucous in.
He does have eczema and just got over reflux, so am wondering if these together are some sort of food reaction?
He is allergic to egg.
Any advice/suggestions/help gratefully received.
I might be totally off the mark with this, but thought experienced mums of babes with allergies may tell me if this sounds like a reaction or not (he may just be teething!).
Thank you

DrNortherner Sun 14-Sep-08 12:42:40

Sounds like Rota Virus to me - the stretch mucosy thing at least. My ds had a bout at a similar age. Lasted over a week.

Hope he feels better soon.

likessleep Sun 14-Sep-08 12:48:31

Thanks for responding DRNortherner.
He seems perfectly happy in himself though. I guess if it was a virus, he would be off colour?

debzmb62 Sun 14-Sep-08 12:50:22

this to me sounds like the back end of a virus to me (all the badness coming out as it is )but if it does'nt clear up within a few more days speak to his doctor i,d say

likessleep Sun 14-Sep-08 12:58:02

Thanks debz - I'll see what he is like tomorrow and Tuesday.
On with the washing now (better get out the napisan!!) ...grin

loobeylou Mon 15-Sep-08 16:40:53

I was told by the midwife/health visitor that green-ness in diarrhoea is a sign of too much sugar?? does he have fruit juices at all (that was what did it with mine)

with only being 10 months I would go to the Gp tomorrow, they can dehydrate very quickly at that age

likessleep Mon 15-Sep-08 21:26:30

He doesn't drink fruit juices, but does eat a lot of raisins and fruit.
Still very runny and explosive, but not green today. We had to change him 3 times through the night too (I had to wake him up a couple of times!).
His bottom is soooo sore, looks bright pink and like it is burnt. He screams when I have to clean him up.
Has continued today and so far, seems to be about 7 times every 24 hours.
I took him to Doctors today, I wasn't worried about dehydration, as he is feeding/drinking and behaviourally fine. Doctor said to just leave him how he is, keep feeding/watering him.
I am most bothered about his sore bottom. Never seen anything like it. It is covered in Metanium tonight. I'll go in again in a while and check he hasn't gone again.
Poor thing. Like having a newborn again, all this frequent runny poos!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now