Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What is the nicest milk alternative for my fussy DH?

(9 Posts)
GodzillasBumcheek Thu 11-Sep-08 21:28:30

He has tried the soya yoghurt things, which he hated, he has tried lacto-free but still had problems (i assume he's more than lactose intolerant then), we've tried goat's milk and both of us thought it was revolting (and really didn't help with the farting!).

What else is there, and is it likely to actually taste ok?

whomovedmychocolate Thu 11-Sep-08 22:08:41

Rice milk (particularly the vanilla one or the hazelnut one) are lovely!

misi Thu 11-Sep-08 22:10:39

which soya products did you try, which brand I mean?

if its not lactose it may be the casein then, rice and oat milk is well, umm, sort of, err ok!! but no real other products like yogs etc.

soya does take time to adjust too.

brands that sold well in my old shop,

alpro/provamel
sojasun
sojade

ice cream was swedish glace and even I liked that one!!

there are many more but these are the ones I tried and my son was bought up on.

AbricotsSecs Thu 11-Sep-08 22:14:17

Message withdrawn

misi Thu 11-Sep-08 22:18:34

the newer red organic boxed provamel (renamed from alpro now and can only be bought in health shops) is rather nice, much better

hester Thu 11-Sep-08 22:19:59

Definitely rice milk (and recommended to me for dd by dietitian). You can get it fortified with calcium and vitamins. It tastes slightly thin and sweet - a bit like breastmilk.

TooTicky Thu 11-Sep-08 22:20:22

It can take up to ten tastings to accept a new flavour.

I like Alpro blue for cereal.

Rice milk is nice to drink.

Most of the nut milks are lovely.

Oat milk can be watery.

Sojade soya yogurt is one of the better ones.

GodzillasBumcheek Thu 11-Sep-08 22:28:18

Wow...thank you all! I looked at another thread thinking nobody would reply blush and when i looked back all of you had!

He has tried alpro yoghurts, but i think persuading him to try them (or in fact any soya product) ten times, would be difficult.

I have wondered about the rice milk - it's what i would go for myself. We don't seem to have any other products available though...must have a look somewhere other than Asda!

misi Thu 11-Sep-08 22:37:47

www.goodness.co.uk/cgi-bin/page/index.shtml

www.organicdelivery.co.uk/shopfront/shoppingaisle.php?aisle=8

many more places online if need be

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now