Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

bedding not changed for more than a week....could this be affecting my asthmatic daughter?

(22 Posts)
cutekids Fri 05-Sep-08 12:13:55

i am usually very "pedantic" about my bedding...covered it once on another thread!
I generally change x 1 bed per day (4 in all) and quite often start the rota earlier if i feel the urge....!!!!However,was busy last week and didn't manage to wash the previous lot of bedding so decided i'd leave the bedding until the beginning of next week.Anyway,my dd2 (who has slight asthma...if there is such a thing)has had a sore nose and cold like symptoms for the past couple of days. Could it really be the bedding that's causing it? (we have pets too but she loves them and i don't like stopping her from cuddling them etc.).
(She is an asthmatic but she only uses her inhaler when she really needs it which-touch wood-is rare.)

Twiglett Fri 05-Sep-08 12:15:29

cold like symptoms are not asthma though

do you pull back bedding daily and allow it to air?

Twiglett Fri 05-Sep-08 12:15:55

(can't remember last time I changed kids' bedding .. eek)

Saturn74 Fri 05-Sep-08 12:18:01

DS2 is asthmatic, and we change his bedding once or twice a week, depending on how wheezy he is.

The asthma nurse recommended we also get some eucalyptus oil, mix about 8 drops with a pint of water, and squirt it on the bedding and curtains a few times a week.

It keeps the dust down, and seems to work really well.

Also ensure that soft toys are regularly cleaned.

You can put them in the freezer them in bags.

Helennn Fri 05-Sep-08 12:18:06

I would have thought an allergy to too much washing powder rather than anything else!

Why do you think leaving bedding on a bed for approx. 1 week would cause asthma? Sounds a bit OCD to me.

cutekids Fri 05-Sep-08 12:18:34

no Twiglett,that's something I don't tend to do.Probably cos I know that my cats would be in there....!(can't close the door in the girls' room...door has never shut properly).
don't you think it is asthma then...just a cold?

Helennn Fri 05-Sep-08 12:19:32

Twig - ditto blush.

In fact - just off to do it now ..........

Mimsy2000 Fri 05-Sep-08 12:20:32

could be if she's used to it but could also be the change in weather. also, i would never discount the effect pets have. sorry to say that, i'm sure you love your animals sad

i have asthma similar to your daughter in that it's very mild and usually doesn't require treatment. however i am pretty sensitive to small environmental factors. in the last two days i've had a bit more breathlessness than usual and i'd assumed it was the weather.

i suppose just change the linens and see what happens!

cutekids Fri 05-Sep-08 12:20:48

Yes... I know H! I am a little strange with bedding....don't know why.Even my Mum looked surprised when I asked this question.The rest of my house is a tip!!!blushbtw,what does "OCD"mean?

Helennn Fri 05-Sep-08 12:22:53

Obsessive compulsive disorder. Often associated with being obsessively clean/washing hands obsessively etc. Meant as a joke but still seems over the top to me.

cutekids Fri 05-Sep-08 12:24:58

Yes Mimsy,the cats are older than the kids!
Thing is,although she's only 8,she has already declared her love for animals "instead of people"!!!!In other words,she'd be absolutely devastated if I had to get rid of cats and dog...well,admittedly,so would I.(Although,obviously if it was absolutely life-threatening,then I would have to change my tune.)

cargirl Fri 05-Sep-08 12:26:38

have you checked your dd out for allergies. Asthma and allergies are usually closely linked in which case yes not washing would make a huge difference.

I do not have asthma but am allergic to house dute mites (bedding is laden with them) and cats (we had one until recently) and I could tell how recently my bedding had been washed by the state of my allergies in the morning!

cutekids Fri 05-Sep-08 12:27:19

oh right H!should've realized.actually,I do sometimes think I have a bit of "OCD" myself.Although,I try not to let it take over my life.I think with the bedding,it's like my ironing,I hate doing them so i've got to get it over with if that makes any sense!!!grin

cutekids Fri 05-Sep-08 12:28:36

cargirl,so you really think it affects you that much....better get off here and change her bed I think!

cargirl Fri 05-Sep-08 12:30:14

I would ask your gp for a referral for allergy testing. I have protective stuff on my mattress, duvet, pillow have hard flooring and it all made a huge difference.

Perhaps you should fix the door and keep the cat off her bed.

Helennn Fri 05-Sep-08 12:30:50

I mentioned the washing powder because I am allergic to certain washing powders. When I was away at college I would be a streaming mess, (my nose that is), after my first night in clean sheets. So, sometimes that is worse than non-washed sheets.

Saturn74 Fri 05-Sep-08 12:43:57

The symptoms you describe in your OP are not necessarily just a cold.
They could be caused by an allergy, which could be a trigger for your DD's asthma.

some info here

KerryMum Fri 05-Sep-08 23:40:31

Do you have anti-dust mite covers on the mattress, duvet and pillowcase? If not, you need to get some. They will help. Don't get cheapo ones, go to chemist and have them order. The good ones are expensive but worth it.

Flibbertyjibbet Fri 05-Sep-08 23:46:51

I have dustmite allergy and absolutely am affected by how often I change the bedding. I have an anti allergen duvet and pillows but the dust still gets on the quilt cover as it would on anything that is lying on your bed day in day out.

As allergies are often a trigger for asthma it may well be causing it.

I hoover the bedroom and damp dust twice a week. We have blinds instead of curtains. I would rather damp dust and hoover than go round squirting water everywhere to 'keep the dust down'. I don't want it kept down I want it hoovered and out of the room!

I don't think you are OCD I think you sound like superwoman grin

KerryMum Fri 05-Sep-08 23:50:42

oh yes. another thing that worked is I got an air purifier for ds1's bedroom. I put it in kitchen and sitting room as well (move it around)

SmugColditz Fri 05-Sep-08 23:53:17

It's 100x more likely to be the cat rather than the bed.

KerryMum Fri 05-Sep-08 23:56:27

missed the part about the cat. I concur with colditz

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now