Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Peanut Butter Allergy?

(21 Posts)
RGPargy Wed 03-Sep-08 13:24:00

There are no peanut allergies on either side of mine and DP's families, so i thought it would be ok to give DD (9 months) a bit of smooth peanut butter on some bread. However, as much as she liked it, where the peanut butter touched the skin around her mouth, it came up red and slightly blistered! I was very surprised at this and obviously watched her closely for the rest of the day and haven't given it to her since.

Have i given peanut butter to DD too early or does this indicate that she might have an allergy to peanuts?

TIA.

BalloonSlayer Wed 03-Sep-08 15:25:04

I wouldn't worry about too early, you weren't to know, but Yes that's a definite allergy sign.

I should avoid peanuts like the plague if I were you and mention it to a Doctor at your earliest convenience.

RGPargy Wed 03-Sep-08 15:40:34

Thanx, i will do that.

BlueBumedFly Wed 03-Sep-08 15:57:19

No more peanuts and ask for a referral to an allergist. Peanut allergy does not getter better, it can get worse however. Please see the doc as soon as you have the chance.

RGPargy Wed 03-Sep-08 17:26:45

Oh right! I never knew that! I have an appointment with the doc in a couple of weeks anyway so i will give them a ring tomorrow and see if they will squeeze her in with me too.

lulumama Wed 03-Sep-08 17:32:16

i would have her seen soon. DS had peanut butter at aged 2, his mouth and lips swelled , he was retching, choking, vomiting, and his eyes were swelling, cue DH taking him to A&E and kicking doors open.. he was seen immediately.. referred to pead. and diagnosed with peanut allergy. he has got less allergic to things as he has got older, was allergic to tomatos, kiwis etc..

he has piriton and epipens with him at all times, and never has nuts.

DD seems to be on, she ate a biscuit with hazelnut filling in error and was ok, but i don;t give her nuts either

crokky Wed 03-Sep-08 17:36:41

I thought that the first time exposure can make your body aware of the allergy - 2nd time could be more of a reaction. I would go to docs.

RGPargy Wed 03-Sep-08 22:56:16

OK after reading this, i'm deffo gonna make an appointment for her tomorrow. hopefully she'll be seen next week.

RGPargy Thu 04-Sep-08 12:23:19

Phew, got an appointment for Tuesday morning to see the paed doctor in the surgery.

BlueBumedFly Thu 04-Sep-08 12:29:34

On the bright sidemy 10 yo DD is in immunotherapy for nut allergy at the moment at Addenbrookes Hospital. She had a RAST of over 100 to all nuts and carried Epipens. She has been taking a titrated amount of peanut flour daily since Feb (after initial introduction via a nasal spray) and she is not NOT allergic to any tree nut and is only allergic now to peanut and cashew nut. She is doing really well and in 4 weeks time (if all our nerves can stand it) she will be ready to have her nut challenge in the shape of a teaspoon of peanut butter.

Other kids who are on the study ahead of her are now eating 5 peanuts a day. The lead kid had a RAST of over 150, the work the Dr is doing is life-changing and amazing.

Do you think it would be useful if I started a thread to tell people with allergic children?

wb Thu 04-Sep-08 12:43:43

BlueBumedFly (great name)

Please do start a thread, I have been reading your posts with immense interest as I have a ds w. peanut allergy.

BlueBumedFly Thu 04-Sep-08 13:25:02

Will do wb - will do it now in fact!

RGPargy Thu 04-Sep-08 13:27:06

How interesting Blue! What is RAST? blush

BlueBumedFly Thu 04-Sep-08 13:53:52

A RAST test is a radioallergosorbent test - it is a blood test used to determine what a person is allergic to. In short, a blood test. The way I understand it is the higher your score the more allergic you are. I know 100 is high (could be anaphylactic) and 150 is super high.

I have just posted a new thread now called Peanut Allergy (Anaphylactic) - life changing study taking place and DD is about to eat a peanut!! - check it out
x

misdee Thu 04-Sep-08 13:58:21

am glad she has an appointment.

dd1 is 8 and still hasnt had peanut butter blush i have offered it to her, but she doesnt want to try it. we avoided nuts due to her multiple allergies which developed when she was a baby.

if baby #4 has eczema, i am signing her up for the LEAP programme at st thomas' which looks into peanut allergies as well

RGPargy Thu 04-Sep-08 14:10:03

Thanx Blue, i'll have a look at your thread now.

Misdee - Fair enough for avoiding nuts if she already has allergies anyway. I am quite surprised by this tho because none of my family have allergies to anything and none of DP's family have allergies either so i just assumed that DD would be fine!

BlueBumedFly Thu 04-Sep-08 14:34:10

midsee I would be worried about giving peanuts if your DD has multiple allergies, we are taking DD3 for tests with Doc Du Toit at the Portland so we know in advance.

There does not need to be any family history, we have none but DD is just unlucky.

misdee Thu 04-Sep-08 14:55:54

i know BBF, i was thinking, if she would agree to it, of sitting in a+e car park, bottle of piriton handy, and trying there.

she has allergies to cats, dust mites, food colourings

also has asthma and eczema.

BlueBumedFly Thu 04-Sep-08 15:23:46

Are you close to Cambridge at all? Addenbrookes are running wonderful studies that could really help your DD, poor poppet. She has all the same allergies as DD does.

It is the not knowing that is the thing eh?

misdee Thu 04-Sep-08 20:33:36

we are in herts, so not too far. have you got any contat detials so i can get in touch with them? getting into allergy clinic here is apain and her allergy consultant wouldnt do any tests/

BlueBumedFly Thu 04-Sep-08 21:00:38

Call Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge and ask for Doctor Andrew Clark - he is a wonder.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now