Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone know where to get dairy/soya/wheat/gluten free yoghurts and chees please?

(31 Posts)
eddiejo Mon 01-Sep-08 17:43:27

My DS5 has to now stop dairy and soya as well as wheat and gluten. sad Am struggling with what I can put in his lunchbox and where to get replacements like cheese etc (if they're available.
Thank

GordonTheGopher Mon 01-Sep-08 17:46:29

Alpro do both longlife deserts and fresh yogurts - all from tesco.

Show me a dairy-free cheese that doesn't taste like plastic and I'll marry you.

eddiejo Mon 01-Sep-08 17:51:53

I just looked a the alpro and i think it said soya?? hmm

eddiejo Mon 01-Sep-08 17:52:50

THank you tho!!

Gonkster Mon 01-Sep-08 18:08:22

Try Sheese - made on the isle of bute and their cheddar cheese flavour spread (it's soft but tastes of cheddar!)is surprisingly palatable. I wouldn't choose it for a dinner party... but my DD loves it. They do lots of other stuff too of a cheesy variety. And I use Pure margarine (sunflower oil) avail at Sainsburys. My DD is only cows milk protein intolerant so can have soya stuff, so these are my only recommendations but very good luck.

GordonTheGopher Mon 01-Sep-08 18:09:23

God sorry didn't read op properly!

eddiejo Mon 01-Sep-08 19:18:37

No worries GTG !!

Thanks Gonkster.

staryeyed Mon 01-Sep-08 19:21:04

I dont think soy free yoghurts and cheese exist- Ds is gluten free, dairy free, soy free. If you do find some please let me know.

eddiejo Mon 01-Sep-08 19:29:42

stareyed- is it really difficult to cut out all these? He's always had allergy to wheat and gluten and now it probably even more. Is your DS at school? and what do you do for lunches?

eddiejo Mon 01-Sep-08 19:30:50

hmm spelt that wrong didn't I blush

earlyriser Mon 01-Sep-08 19:36:44

I used to make my own soya yoghurt using soya milk that had been left out as a starter. No idea if this would work with rice milk, but maybe worth a try? good luck, it is really hard work with such a restricted diet.

pagwatch Mon 01-Sep-08 19:38:48

if you are looking for linch box ideas have you got the AiA cookbook by Marilyn Le Breton.
All the recipes are gfcf and additive free. Many are soya free too.
and goodness direct website is good to

tatt Mon 01-Sep-08 20:14:12

is he actually coeliac or seriously allergic? If not then I recommend Biocare Glutenzyme Plus. You can buy these on the net in lots of stores and they are great. Instructions are not too clear but one with each meal means I don't have symptoms grin. They aren't cheap but neither is gluten free food.

If he has a true allergy they may not help, depends what his problem is.

eddiejo Mon 01-Sep-08 20:51:04

He has true allergy to wheat at the moment and suspecting Gluten, soya, dairy and maybe more. Feel so sorry for him - I'm coeliac etc but this is even harder.

eddiejo Mon 01-Sep-08 20:51:51

Thanks pagwatch.

tatt Tue 02-Sep-08 07:39:14

Alpro is soya. Do you think he'll be allowed oats as you could possibly make your own flapjacks. As you're coeliac you'll know about contamination risks.

Dove gluten free flour have a recipe on the packet for breadmakers. I made this with rice milk once and it worked OK - in fact it tasted more breadlike than when made with cows milk. I made up sandwiches and froze them. Obviously it's not the same as normal bread but it's edible.

You can little pots of jelly and fruit or get some tupperware and make your own as they are expensive (but offers on at the co-op this week).

Sainsburys have a good free from selection. I don't know if the gluten free items are also dairy and soya free but worth checking. If your local butcher can make gluten free sausages you could put cold sausage in with rice cakes. There is a sunflower spread available in Asda that I'm told is a reasonable alternative to peanut butter. Don't know if it's also dairy free. Some websites sell suitable items too but delivery tends to be expensive.

staryeyed Tue 02-Sep-08 12:35:09

Eddiejo. If you cook from scratch at home it can be ok- things like shepherds pie etc we just leave out milk and cheese and ds still enjoys. We can do curry easily and lots of potato/rice based meals, beef burgers without breadcrumbs, roast chicken etc. There is gluten, dairy and soy free bread that he has for toast ditto for cereals. You can also get chocolate cake mixes biscuits, fishfingers etc from supermarket.

Its much cheaper to cook form home becasue free from food can be expensive £2 for a pack of biscuits. Gren and blacks also do dairy and soy free chocolate- I think the 85% bar which Ds loves but its quite bitter.

HTH

AbricotsSecs Tue 02-Sep-08 12:45:55

Message withdrawn

AbricotsSecs Tue 02-Sep-08 12:55:50

Message withdrawn

staryeyed Tue 02-Sep-08 12:57:14

no the 70% G&B one does the 85% one doesn't. I checked on the website.

AbricotsSecs Tue 02-Sep-08 15:08:27

Message withdrawn

staryeyed Tue 02-Sep-08 15:19:48

Oh bloody hell! I just checked again and they have changed the label to include milk because apparently they have found traces of milk on the bar and soy. However, on an old 85%bar I have it lists neither soy lecithin or milk.

here is the link:www.greenandblacks.com/uk/faqanswer.php?fid=55

Now I feel terrible. I hope no-one goes to buy it.

staryeyed Tue 02-Sep-08 15:22:09

The G&B website used to have this table that showed which products were soy and dairy free and that was the only one.

eddiejo Wed 03-Sep-08 17:50:55

Well, have hunted the shops for two days for bits and bobs for lunches and today (first day back sad!) he did ok and ate it. He has a newly qualified teacher nd so had to write a note to her to update her!

Have read all your advice and thank you all very much. Only cheeses I found had soy lecithin in - what is this and can he have it if he is soya free ?? hmm

Am waiting on appt for dietician - don't hold out much hope tho - she was pretty useless last time. Has anyone got a list of prescribable wheat/gluten/dairy/soya free food as GP is quite ok about putting things on presciption?

dreadedsquirrel Thu 04-Sep-08 23:54:26

Hi, new to here - hello to all!

Just thought I'd add that the Swiss Couveture has hazelnut in it so if anyone avoiding nuts as well it's a no no Traidcraft do a dark chocolate that has no milk or soy and is yummy.

Not really suitable for a lunch box but as a treat B'Nice rice milk 'ice cream' is really really yummy and although the choc one has soya lecithin in it the vanilla one doesn't.

I have feeling that somewhere I've seen a rice milk cheese substitute, will try and find out where. And I'm intrigued as to how to go about making rice milk yoghurt...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now