Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

has anyone tried that lacto free milk?

(20 Posts)
Jahan Thu 28-Aug-08 18:09:43

is it worth trying for a baby with a milk intolerance?

TheProvincialLady Thu 28-Aug-08 18:11:24

We tried it with DS and the effects were hideous - it turns out he is intolerant to the milk protein, not the lactose. Worth a try if you don't know which bit of the milk your baby is intolerant to (assuming this is for cooking, or for an over 12m baby?) but don't give a whole cup like I did.

matildax Thu 28-Aug-08 18:13:59

hello there, we used it for about 6 months with ds as his skin was really bad and scaly,and i was told it could have been caused by lactose. it was great, tastes lovely, and his skin cleared up pretty quickly aswell. so yeah i would say yes its worth it.
if he has a bottle now most of the time we still use this milk
hth xx

Jahan Thu 28-Aug-08 18:14:04

Thanks. I don't know if its the protein or lactose that ds2 (10mnths) is intolerant too.

He throws up anything made with milk and gets excema if I have too much dairy (due to bf, of course)

matildax Thu 28-Aug-08 18:22:05

then i would say its worth a shot, they are currently working on a cheese and yoghurt range also, (i checked out their website! ) smile

Jahan Fri 29-Aug-08 10:29:08

Well I tried it today in some porridge. The result was lots vomiting about 10 mins later sad

At least I know he's intolerant to milk protein now.

TheProvincialLady Fri 29-Aug-08 11:48:52

Oh dear, sorry to hear that. It gets your hopes up doesn't it?

pamelat Fri 29-Aug-08 12:00:13

Tried it
Its really nasty and my DD refused it

Jahan Fri 29-Aug-08 12:06:44

It does.
I'm going to try some goats milk in a couple of days. I know some people swear by it. It may be ok, it may not.

I'm also looking at how to ensure he has a calcium rich non-dairy diet.

TheProvincialLady Fri 29-Aug-08 12:10:21

Oh definitely don't get your hopes up about goat's milk - the proteins are virtually identical apparently. Sorry if that is more bad news! The good news is that most children grow out of the intolerence by 2 or 3. DS is definitely better than he was (23m).

For calcium you can give green veg, almonds (almond butter is very nutritious), fish like sardines etc. It is harder without dairy but not impossible. Are you determined to give up breast feeding?

Jahan Fri 29-Aug-08 12:29:07

I'm afraid I do want to give up bf. I just get to a stage where I want my body back, ifykwim. I just can't do it until he's 2. Plus I'm going back to work and it would be easier if I didn't have to bf.

I bf ds1 for a year too but he was fine going straight on to cow's milk.

I find the lack of support and advice from gps and health visitors extremely frustrating. The health visitor I saw yesterday claimed that 25% of babies are allergic to milk yet she could give me no proper or sensible advice. angry hmm sad

TheProvincialLady Fri 29-Aug-08 18:24:36

No fair enough, it's great you have got this far. It's just so much harder to find a decent breast milk replacement. But DS doesn't have breast milk or formula, he has a drop of soya milk on his cereal and that is it really.

I got really frustrated with the NHS too. We saw a dietician and he was hopeless. Suggested I put apple juice on his cereal (because that is SO full of calciumhmm and couldn't suggest a single thing I didn't already know. I found MN much more useful. I don't believe that 25% of babies are allergic to milk either...

CaptainKarvol Fri 29-Aug-08 18:27:58

We're using the lactofree milk with DS (2.6) - have been for about 6 months. I've never tried to get him diagnosed and he's not clasically 'allregic' but he gets massively constipated if given any milk/cheese. He is much better on lactofree milk than on cows milk (the worst) or goats milk (which I used for about a year).

wb Fri 29-Aug-08 18:29:07

Jahan, there are a range of milk formulae specially made for children with milk protein allergy you know. You can get them on prescription from your doctor. We used 'Pepti' until ds1 was 2 (he stopped breastfeeding at 11mo - his choice but got no arguments from me wink)

Jahan Mon 01-Sep-08 10:51:13

I find 25% hard to believe too.

I've tried the goats milk in ds2's porridge for 2 mornings and he seems totally fine with it.
I'm going to try giving it to him straight in his sippy cup to see if he tolerates it.
Fingers crossed! smile
(If not, I will have to look at the formula drinks)

Goats milk should be ok as a main drink from 12 months?

punksnotdead Wed 03-Sep-08 11:25:54

Hi Jahan

My 4 week old daughter has just been put on Sma lf as they have diagnosed lactose intolerance, she is so far doing fine and we have no more of the projectile vomiting and screaming that we had with both breast milk and regular formula.

I have a dairy allergy/lactose intolerance myself and have learnt to adapt my diet throughout the years and my nine year old grew out of it, she can now have semi skimmed milk and cheese etc however we do have to police her when she gets into the yoghurts etc as too much can make her ill she prefers the alpo soya deserts you can get in most supermarkets now.

The one thing I would be wary of with Goat's milk is that when we went to the dietician about the little one last week she told me to be wary of using it when weaning as the can develop an intolerance to it as it does have some lactose in. Can your GP not send you to a dietician for some help as the one we saw was brilliant.

Hope it goes well smile

TwilightSurfer Sat 06-Sep-08 22:37:07

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter, Punksnotdead. smile

ToughDaddy Sun 07-Sep-08 09:42:45

ours all allergic to protein in milk. All ours use Nutramigen even though one of them is an adolescent. Nutramigen has very good siupplements so consultant says keep DC10 on it for as long as DC is willing to have it.

NotQuiteCockney Sun 07-Sep-08 09:53:34

There's lactose in breast milk (in all milk, really), so if your child has a problem with cow's milk, but not breast milk, then lactose free milk will make no difference at all.

From what I know, problems with lactose tend to kick in at the age of 7 or so (I know mine did) and tend to be milder (stomach upset, constipation, etc), not violent allergies.

tatt Sun 07-Sep-08 13:43:46

an alternative to lactose free milk (haven't tried) is to get lactase drops to use with ordinary milk. Lactase is the nezyme that digests lactose. Doesn't help if the problem is cows milk protein.

I have only seem lactase drops on internet web sites but for older children you can get lactase tablets in Holland & Barrett.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now