Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

has anyone tried buffalo milk??

(7 Posts)
thisisyesterday Sun 24-Aug-08 14:14:00

have been reading up about it online and like the sound of it.
ds2 is intolerant to cows milk. he has never had it directly, only via me, and reacts quite badly.
I have never tried him on goats milk or sheeps milk.

but, I am wondering about buffalo milk. apparently it is a lot higher in calcium and iron, which is fab as we are also vegetarian.
read great stories of it helping to improve things like excema and other skin conditions and claims that it can be suitable for a cows' milk allergy sufferer.

but, before I head out to waitrose to get some I just wondered if anyone had actually tried it, and what their thoughts were?

misi Sun 24-Aug-08 16:12:14

I have tried it, it is quite strong and rich and I doubt that your son will take to it if you give it to him direct. it makes great mozzarella smile.

I have not ever used it for a child with lactose or casein intolerance, never thought about it quite honestly. if its a casein intolerance, goats milk is good as the protein size is much smaller and easier to digest. it does have lactose but in lesser amounts. not sure about sheep milk, I only like that as haloumi or feta the milk itself is too rich and creamy and not overly nice to taste. my son had a lactose problem for a while and I put him onto powdered baby soya milk in his bottles. that did the trick, he started to thrive after that and he is extremely healthy and fit now.
some kids can be intolerant to soya too so it is a trial an error thing I think, buffalo milk may be the answer but it is expensive and hard to come by, soya is more readily available.

http://www.alprosoya.co.uk/alpro/UK_en/index.html

thisisyesterday Sun 24-Aug-08 20:20:05

thank you for your reply misi, great to hear from someone who has actually tried it!

at the moment he is still breastfed, and has oat milk or rice milk, but isn't that keen. I like the idea of a fresher milk that is high in iron and calcium.
apparently buffalo milk is closer to human milk than cow's etc and also Waitrose now stock it (or so i've been told!) which makes it a bit more obtainable lol.

I know someone on another forum who is going to try it for her little boy, so will wait and see how she gets on before splashing out on it lol

Pimmpom Wed 27-Aug-08 10:06:33

Hi, yes I tried it for a month. DS liked it but it didn't seem to make any difference to his eczema. The nearest waitrose that stocked it for me was Canary Wharf - my local one didn't have it.

misi Wed 27-Aug-08 16:53:05

you would be looking at changing to this for a minimum of 3 months to see the effect, 1 month is not long enough for the bodies reaction to cool down I am afraid.

Pimmpom Wed 27-Aug-08 20:46:32

Thanks Misi, I may start it up again then.

thisisyesterday Wed 27-Aug-08 20:48:06

hmm I might do well to ring mine first then

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now