Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How does everyone carry around their Piriton?

(30 Posts)
RambleOn Fri 22-Aug-08 21:41:08

I have been carrying round a big glass bottle of Piriton in my changing bag now for over a year.

Surely there must be a better way? Can you get plastic bottles or sachets? Does anyone decant into another container?

smoggie Fri 22-Aug-08 22:06:00

I decant into a much smaller medicine bottle we once got form the pharmacy when they had too mcuh medicine for an ordinary container. Might be worth asking them for one. I've tried asking re: sachets but AFAIK they don't do them.
HTHs

smoggie Fri 22-Aug-08 22:06:14

from not form blush

RambleOn Fri 22-Aug-08 22:18:37

Oh that's worth asking about in the pharmacy. Just realised I had been thinking about using a plastic travel bottle from Boots, but it has no child-proof top. Silly me blush

bagofhammers Fri 22-Aug-08 22:27:30

I have 30ml glass bottles from boots. One boots sold them for 28p and didn't ask any questions. the other boots sold them for 50p and 2 pharmacists cross examined me about how I would label them and made that sucking noise through their teeth that mechanics make when they are breaking fake bad news to you.

oi Fri 22-Aug-08 22:28:59

I have a giant bag.

In fact, today I found an apple I didn't know I had in it.

RambleOn Fri 22-Aug-08 22:37:15

hammers - I seem to get that reaction from pharmacists a lot. grin

Try asking them to dispose of a sharps bin full of used syringes (my prescription medication btw, not for heroin or anything!)

oi - I have a giant bag too. An OiOi bag actually grin

vixma Fri 22-Aug-08 22:38:28

All I know is that the last two weeks I have been really itchy...I have hayfever, however I thought that finished weeks ago. I have been bitten repeatedly too. I have not got fleas....it is so frustrating.

abouteve Fri 22-Aug-08 22:41:44

Help me experts!! I'm itching atm and every hour I'm getting lumps all over my body, face, neck, chest, back, legs, you get the picture. What the hell is it.

RambleOn Fri 22-Aug-08 22:44:36

That's very unfortunate for you both. But how do you carry around your Piriton? grin

abouteve Fri 22-Aug-08 22:47:35

I don't have any. Is it any good? If I do buy it then I will carry it around in my handbag its quite large. Sorry for going off thread! Maybe should start my own.

RambleOn Fri 22-Aug-08 23:07:55

It's good if you are suffering from an allergic reaction to something. I would advise finding out what your problem is though, before self-medicating.

trixymalixy Sat 23-Aug-08 00:48:03

I carry it around in a little 10ml glass bottle with a dropper that cost 50p from behind the chemist's counter. Much less hassle than dragging a big glass bottle around.

brimfull Sat 23-Aug-08 00:51:26

I carry a rather large glass bottle of it on a plastic bag with the spoon.
Apparently they were thinking of bringing out sachets but needed people to request them first.
AM sure I read this somewhere then couldn't find where to write to....may be I dreamt that though.

slim22 Sat 23-Aug-08 00:53:40

tablets?

brimfull Sat 23-Aug-08 00:58:08

mine is for my 5 yr old who's allergic to nuts and eggs-

RambleOn Sat 23-Aug-08 01:50:19

slim - she's not old enough to swallow a tablet. And anyway, the thought of a swollen mouth and airway that a tablet wouldn't pass terrifies me.

Atm, I'm lucky if she takes the oral syringe, wouldn't even like to try a spoon.

Sachets would be brilliant.

Bottle with dropper a good idea too.

hellish Sat 23-Aug-08 02:32:01

Now you lot are making me think. dd2 has peanut allergy and carries an Epipen. But we don't carry Piriton . I was basically given the impression that if she were to have a reaction, I should just give the Epipen, and not take a risk by waiting to see if Piriton worked.

I have been wondering if Piriton might be a good thing to have in her Epi-pen pouch, if only they did sachets.

twentypence Sat 23-Aug-08 06:09:53

Ds has been chewing the tablets (ceterizine) since he was 2. We used to hide them in a white marshmallow - then when he started to hide them himself hmm we just gave the tablet and then a little sweet something (the tablets are very bitter).

It's worth training them to eat the tablets very young as I can't see him going for it now unless he was used to it.

slim22 Sat 23-Aug-08 06:25:17

blush of course!

bagofhammers Sat 23-Aug-08 10:20:43

My ds is 4 and would swallow a tablet in normal circumstances but I can't be sure he would if he was having a reaction. Chewing tablets can denature the active ingredient with some drugs too, though I don't think so with antihistamines.

desperatehousewifetoo Sat 23-Aug-08 15:24:21

My ds has a little plastic box with lid (the type a take-away comes in). Inside he has:

a small glass bottle, given to me by my lovely pharmacist, with piriton + spoon. Sticky label with dosage on outside (+ use-by date).

Epipen.

Inhaler.

Hydrocotisone cream.

Note with his name, dob, emergency tel numbers and symtoms for when to use each med.

He carries this in a distinctive rucsack wherever he goes.

twentypence Sun 24-Aug-08 03:19:35

I checked that whilst unpleasant tasting it wouldn't actually make the pills not work.

Chandra Mon 25-Aug-08 22:05:52

Those with with children who need an inhaler & epipens...do you still carry a spacer? Apart of the piriton, this is the biggest thing in DS kit. However.... in the panic of an asthma attack the only way to give him the inhaler is with the spacer and mask. Until what age did your children carry a spacer? I have a 4 yr old and a yellow baby spacer (I have tried the blue for older ones, but DS siad it hurt his chest to use it

christywhisty Mon 25-Aug-08 22:42:12

I always carry tablets, DS has been allergic since the age of 4 and been able to take tablets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now