Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is it possible to develop hay fever as an adult?

(9 Posts)
nkf Fri 22-Aug-08 19:46:13

Because I seem to have all the symptoms.

chairmanmaiou Fri 22-Aug-08 19:48:14

Yes. It is possible.
Get a skin test from your GP.

bagofhammers Fri 22-Aug-08 19:48:35

Yes. My bro has it really badly now but didn't have it at all until he was about 20.

nkf Fri 22-Aug-08 19:49:47

Okay. I'll go to the doctor. It's making me miserable to be honest.

nkf Fri 22-Aug-08 19:50:13

Spent a lovely day in the country today and now I can't stop sneezing and my eyes and nose hurt.

smoggie Fri 22-Aug-08 20:04:08

Yes, I developed it last year at 35 !
I'd always lived in fairly urban places until 6 years ago when we moved to here which is pretty rural with a wood at the back of us. Since last year I've had horrible hayfever, only really twigged to it at the end of the summer. I must admit - I didn't really think it could make you feel quite so awful as it does. I get a thumping headache, sore eyes and sneezes++.
I think it was the eczema society website has some hints and tips for minimising symptoms - things I hadn't considered (over and above the usual) - tie long hair back (traps pollen), wash hair daily (ditto), wear sunglasses, vaseline around nostrils to trap pollen, keep windows closed on a night.
There are more but those spring to mind at the mo. Hope you feel better with the anti-histamines.
HTH

LongDroopyBoobyLady Fri 22-Aug-08 20:05:50

Yes and it can disappear again too! I had it first when I was pg with dd1 and then it went just after dd2!

nkf Sat 23-Aug-08 12:31:23

I hope it disappears. Do you think it's unwide to buy something from the chemist before getting a proper diagnosis from the GP.

SqueakyPop Sat 23-Aug-08 12:33:07

Yes - I did about 3 years ago at the grand age of 40.

The main symptoms were gravelly eyes (horrible), which cleared up with antihistamines. I don't have it all the time - just a few days a year when I medicate, and I haven't discovered a pattern yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now