Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

does this sound like a food intolerance, and if so what is most likely cause...

(8 Posts)
hazeyjane Tue 19-Aug-08 09:16:31

dd (2.5) has been diagnosed with asthma,although so far the asthma medication we have tried : inhalers, singulaire, and terbutaline don't seem to make much of a difference. She wakes with a night time cough frequently. She sleeps badly anyway, waking 2 or 3 times a night every night. She has mild to moderate eczema and sometimes has skin flare ups that looks like hives. She often has a swollen stomach, and doesn't eat very well. She sometimes gets so tired that she is wired, running around like a maniac with huge dark shadows under her eyes.

dh has had problems in the past with wheat, and we wondered whether it would help with dd to change her diet. I mentioned it to the gp, but they just looked sceptical.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is there someone else we could try going to see (for allergy testing for example)? Should we try cutting something out of her diet - or is this a bad idea, and if so what?

Sorry long and rambling, but just feel there is something not right, and am desperate!

georgiemum Tue 19-Aug-08 09:20:15

Poor wee thing.

Asthma and Eczema tend to go hand in hand although I believe you tend to get one or the other. Maybe you could try to take her to see a dietician? They can at least tell you the best way forward. My friend's son had bad asthma and she swears by the Boots Plug-In vaporiser (it is electric and uses little cartridges that you slot in to heat them up).

Ricedish Tue 19-Aug-08 09:22:20

Has she been examined and tested for Dermatitis Herpetiformis and Coeliac Disease, 2 manifestations of Gluten intolerance?

mankymummy Tue 19-Aug-08 09:24:47

Does she have cows milk?

My DS never had asthma but he had the night time cough and eczema.

I switched him to goats milk and within a week ALL symptoms had gone.

Might be worth a try...

hazeyjane Tue 19-Aug-08 09:30:09

Can i ask which goats milk, is it sweetened ( i know when ihave had goats milk in the past it tasted pretty rank!) also, do you use alternatives to yoghurt and cheese?

If she had coeliac disease, would it show dramatically with weight loss? I mentioned it to gp and she laughedsad at me, I think they think I am a paranoid mum.

mankymummy Tue 19-Aug-08 10:24:39

i use Delamare or St Helens Farm, only because they are available in most supermarkets. they dont have added sugar, i think goats milk is naturally sweeter than cows.

personally i wouldnt like to drink a glass of it but DS loves it. He doesnt like cheese but occasionally has a yoghurt. You can get goats yoghurt in the bigger supermarkets.

hazeyjane Tue 19-Aug-08 21:55:16

Have just had the worst day with dd, wouldn't nap, came out in a rash before bedtime, screamed all the way through bedtime and is curled up on dh's lap in the lounge at the moment. I'm going to go to the doctors tomorrow and ask about a dietician.

desperatehousewifetoo Tue 19-Aug-08 22:02:40

My ds has quite a bad house dust allergy.

This causes asthma type symptoms and can also make him itchy if he rolls around on floor playing. He wakes during the night sneezing when his sheets have not been changed regularly.

Every morning he wakes sneezing and coughing.

I, personally, would persue allergy testing. You would need aa referral from your gp but you could also ask to be referred and seen privately.

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now