Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

best moisturiser for 5mnth old with mild eczema?

(18 Posts)
noolia Thu 14-Aug-08 12:07:02

i'd rather avoid petroleum based products but don't want to use an oil that might cause a reaction. i was wondering about avocado oil? TIA

katie3677 Thu 14-Aug-08 12:15:38

I was reccommended hazlenut oil by a homeopath for my DS, and we also use diprobase

Olihan Thu 14-Aug-08 12:20:58

I use doublebase but get it prescribed as it's £10 a bottle over the counter shock.

Aveeno is supposed to be very good and all natural but it only seems to be stocked in huge Boots stores or online.

MadameCastafiore Thu 14-Aug-08 12:22:27

Aveeno was a godsend for us and we still use it on DS - I have to say it changed our lives and his - he went from being ababy covered in excema screaming and scratching to a noral healthy little baby with mild dry skin.

Give it a try!

ChukkyPig Thu 14-Aug-08 12:22:35

We had aveeno on prescription and it's lovely!

poshtottie Thu 14-Aug-08 12:35:18

I have been using purepotions skin salvation from a health food shop but they do have a website. Its been the best thing I've used so far.

meep Thu 14-Aug-08 12:37:56

aveeno! i use it. Dd uses it. You can get it on presciption. It is fab!

MegBusset Thu 14-Aug-08 12:52:16

You can put some oats in a tied-up muslin or the end of a pair of tights, put it in the bath and squeeze. It will make the water lovely and soft, v nice on the skin.

likessleep Fri 15-Aug-08 14:44:31

Any other tips on managing flare-ups? we've just done 5 days of hydrocortisone and it's flared up again 4 days later. we are using aqeuous cream, but i am going to go back to doctors. i shouldn't yse the hydrocortisone again should i so quickly?

MadameCastafiore Fri 15-Aug-08 14:45:58

My doctor would not prescribe aqueous cream said it did more harm than good and can agravate the excema.

I love doublebase.

Also this is lovely.

likessleep Fri 15-Aug-08 14:49:33

thanks
i am going to ask to try doublebase. that salve i have tried, with no success.
feel like hydrocortisone is the only thing that has worked! poor thing is just constantly scratching his legs and they are bright pink now.

bran Fri 15-Aug-08 14:54:33

Aqueous cream didn't help my ds at all, I think it may have made it a bit worse infact. To bathe him we use Aveeno oil or half a sachet of this, or if we run out of Aveeno we sometimes use Oilatum for kids. Then we moisturise twice a day with ordinary Aveeno lotion or Aveeno Intense Relief Overnight cream.

Lots of people have said that Lush Dream Cream is great for eczema, but I haven't tried it yet.

bran Fri 15-Aug-08 14:56:27

If you don't fancy Aveeno then porridge oats tied in a muslin or old sock in the bath is very soothing too.

LippyGobshite Fri 15-Aug-08 15:00:02

Olive oil. Your baby will smell like a salad but it works wonders.

likessleep Fri 15-Aug-08 15:00:16

thanks so much. i might buy some aveeno tomorrow and book doctors appointment for next week, as it is friday now and i don't want it to get worse over w'end.
noolia, sorry to hijack your thread!

WheresTheAuPair Fri 15-Aug-08 15:02:39

I always recommend aloe vera bee propolis cream for babies and kids with eczema. Its so mild and works a treat! It has the antibiotic propeties from the propolis and the healing from the aloe- fab combination smile

likessleep Fri 15-Aug-08 15:05:43

thanks lippy - x post there. i have that in cupboard, so i guess might be first port of call. tis difficult to decide what order to try. but aveeno and doublebase seem quite popular, alongside the olive oil/oats.
cheers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now