Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Eczema or sensitivity?

(8 Posts)
Nappyzoneneedssleep Thu 14-Aug-08 08:40:01

My ds 21 months has horendous eczema on his face - its really blotchy raspberry red espec round his cheeks and chin - starts like little red dots like a dribble/ sweat rash then they all join to one mass nasty looking rash. He has had it on and off for 5 weeks now and has had 2 course of erythromicin which reduced it for a few days then it came back, been using fucidin (hydrocortozone stuff) (sp?) also and aveeno but not really shifting it. The rest of his body is fine apart from odd dry bit on back of legs increases but nothing major. The doc just keeps saying could be environmental but it has come out the blue.

Now he has always had cows milk on his brekky anyway and up till about 18 months he always had follow on milk for his milk at bedtime, i swapped this fully over at about 17/18 months. Surely a reaction to cows milk would have been sooner - anywy wanting to identify prob so have switched him to soya milk as of yesterday - how long would it be till we saw an improvement if there was to be one?

Sorry long post i was just chuffed when i spotted this topic area and thougt you guys would be the pros! smile

mamadiva Thu 14-Aug-08 08:53:30

My DS has had the exact same problem since he was born. It's always been his face and the odd dry bit elsewhere, we had to get blood tests done and turns out he has a slight allergy to eggs and citrus fruits. He's now 26 months and since we cut these things out 7 months ago it's cleared up. We had to use many creams inclluding fucidin H which works for a while but when we stopped using it it breaks out again.

I use Aqueious cream to wash and moisturise DS face and it works a treat!

mamadiva Thu 14-Aug-08 08:56:36

Sorry totally missed the point there LOL.

It was about a week when we noticed his face getting better when we stopped eggs and citrus! If there isn't anything push for a hospital appointment with the dermotologist! I had to badger the MW's, HV's and doctors for alost a year and a half before they actually achnoledged it was eczema and not just dry skin that he was scratching at!

Nappyzoneneedssleep Thu 14-Aug-08 09:01:29

Thanks - i have to take him back to docs in 2 weeks which is when yes i was going to ask for a dermatolgist referal - he has eaten and drank the same as the rest of the family all the time - i expected if it was something completely new i had introduced then yes it would be obv. Hasnt been since birth though just around 20 months grrrrrr.

mamadiva Thu 14-Aug-08 09:16:40

Oh I see that must be more annoying if it's a sudden thing. Do you use baby wipes on his face or anything new at bathtime?

Sometimes the strangest little thing can cause it!

Nappyzoneneedssleep Thu 14-Aug-08 09:20:16

nope - i have been called out of work three times now by nursery sayig he has a rash - they know the situ now but grrrrrrr. The monster only gets bathed twice a week now to limit any drying out etc...

Nappyzoneneedssleep Thu 14-Aug-08 09:20:57

i meanit in a nice sense you understand - hes a cutey pops really.

mamadiva Thu 14-Aug-08 09:24:41

I've called my DS much worse LOL. Only other thing I can think of from my experience is that DS's skin breaks out if he sweats as does my eczema but we are both atopic so could be down to that maybe?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now