Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help. Do I need to take dd to the doctor? Skin reaction or eczema flare up?

(5 Posts)
suiledonn Tue 12-Aug-08 13:10:31

My dd is 27 months old and has eczema and an egg allergy. Her eczema has been quite bad for the last few months - very dry but no infection or anything. We have been having good results the last few weeks with Epaderm in a cool bath. This morning we went to the supermarket. When we got back I was getting the lunch ready when I noticed she had taken her trousers off and had been scratching her legs like mad. The back of one knee is really bad and looks like she reacted to something that made it really itchy and inflamed. She also has a few red lumps around her mouth. I gave her a dose of Zirtek and put her in a cool bath and her legs have calmed down. Should I see how it goes or take her to the doctor immediately just in case?

desperatehousewifetoo Sun 17-Aug-08 22:59:32

I assume she must have recovered now!

I always give piriton as son as I see ds reacting to something.

I think unless your dd is having an obvious anaphylactic reaction, just keep at home and monitor closely.

callmeovercautious Sun 17-Aug-08 23:18:17

I woulkd think there was something on the seat of the trolley? DD has odd reactions everynow and then. I imagine some lovely person has wiped the seat down with a milton wipe.

Antihistemine and a cool bath everytime then keep an eye on LO. DD and I have been having a bad few days here as well so I suspect some kind of pollen is irritating us.

tatt Mon 18-Aug-08 09:22:03

agree sounds like caused by something on the trolley. Best to keep piriton around as it works more quickly than other antihistamines.

suiledonn Thu 21-Aug-08 19:56:47

thanks for the replies. I kept an eye on her and she was fine. Well, her eczema is still bad but the reaction has gone. I never even thought about the trolley and she was wearing cropped trousers so her skin was in contact with it. I can't let a baby wipe near her as it causes a reaction so I can imagine a cleaning product would be a lot worse.
Interesting about the Piriton working faster than others. We were given Zirtek liquid. Will try Piriton next time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now