Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

advice on hypoallergenic milks please!

(29 Posts)
newlondonmummy Mon 11-Aug-08 21:40:06

please can anyone give advice (advantages/disadvantages? available on prescription? taste? etc) on
NUTAMIGEN
PEPTI JUNIOR
NEOCATE
SMA LF
GOATS MILK
ANY OTHER HYPOALLERGENIC FORMULAS
DS (10m) has vomitting & excema on Wysoy & hoping to change him to hypoallergenic formula- (family history of allergies - DD (3yr) is allergic to dairy, egg & nuts but never took to hypoallergic formulas so has to have calcium, vitamin & fat supplements which i want to avoid this time round.
thanks so much

tiredlady Mon 11-Aug-08 21:44:33

Nutramigen is absolute PUKE!!! It made me gag so many times when mixing up the bottles - it smells rank.

Ds refused to drink it and I remember the dietician suggesting I put Ribena in it to make it more palatable.

In the end, we changed to pepti junior which was better.

Good luck. Ds1 couldn't have dairy, soya or egg products for about 5 years. Has now grown out of it, but was a fucking nightmare at the time

newlondonmummy Mon 11-Aug-08 22:00:04

thanks TL
yep, it is horrid- DD will tolerate the nutramigen she's prescribed but only with her cereal in the morning, i think it smells like dog food, but apparently babies can get used to anything if you intoduce it gradually?! i think Drs prescibe it first cos cheaper than some of the others..... how to ruin ribena eh! did you get pepti junior on prescription?

bekkaboo Mon 11-Aug-08 22:01:50

Hi DS on Neocate and has been for 12 months now, its rank but he drinks it fine but he does have it in a bottle blush there is no way he would have it out a cup as you can taste it more. He is allergic to Dairy & Soya protein. The do prescribe neocate in flavours aswell if you request this.

CantSleepWontSleep Mon 11-Aug-08 22:05:30

Nutramigen vile.
Goats milk formula illegal to sell in the UK.
SMA LF won't work if it's a cows milk protein allergy, which is the usual for babies.
Soya formula rots teeth, causes soya allergy, and can lead to infertility in later life.

The first 3 you list are def available on prescription, at varying cost to GP.

newlondonmummy Mon 11-Aug-08 22:08:36

thanks bekkaboo, was it ok getting it on prescription? apparently it's really expensive.

barnsleybelle Mon 11-Aug-08 22:08:58

My dd is on neocate on prescription. It does taste and smell rancid!!
However, i introduced it gradually mixing with her old milk, slowly increasing the amount of neocate and she now takes it fine.
She's not over fond of it on cereals tbh, but if i mix fruit in she's ok.
Takes it no problem from a bottle.

tiredlady Mon 11-Aug-08 22:10:18

Yes, we got it on prescription for years and years. He still wouldn't drink that much of it though, so we went down the calcium supplement route for a while, until I discovered how much sugar there was in that stuff.

Thank god those days are over. I remember taking him to children's parties, and him literally not being able to eat a single thing, bar the carrot sticks and a couple of plain crisps. He would sit there, looking really folorn begging me to let him have a chocolate finger. Poor wee mite !

bekkaboo Mon 11-Aug-08 22:13:31

Newlondonmumy yeah its only available on prescription and it very expensive and sometimes hard to get hold of, The hospital prescribed it to us when DS was admitted one friday night and the GP's then had no issue prescribing it when they received letter from hospital.

newlondonmummy Mon 11-Aug-08 22:24:06

CSWS - had no idea soya formula was bad.... thanks for the warning, will def push for change to hypoallergenic
thanks BB
i still use 1 bottle with DD in morns to get her drink fruit juice with all supplements in, didn't know they were so sugary, will have to up the vigilance in cleaning teeth after breakfast.
TL - can totally sympathise with party scenario - even stuff DD isn't allergic to she often won't eat cos got so fussy cos of ++ vomitting when she was little. I cried on way home from last party where all other kids were tucking into lovely kiddie-friendly party food and DD only ate 1 breadstick & sweet off cake sad

NotAnOtter Mon 11-Aug-08 22:25:58

i use nanny and yes you can still get it anywhere

it is lovely tasty white and lovely

pricey though

NotAnOtter Mon 11-Aug-08 22:28:05

soya formula is frowned on but my dcs 1 and 2 were was reared on it and are now 14 and 16 neither has a filling

newlondonmummy Mon 11-Aug-08 22:38:00

thanks NAO, shame you can't get nanny on presciption, think it's about £10 a lrg tin, DS gets through 1 every 10 days, so think it's too expensive - am relying on reclaiming some of my taxes and getting something on prescription!!

NotAnOtter Mon 11-Aug-08 22:44:37

i pay 18 for large tin!

canofworms Mon 11-Aug-08 23:02:30

My dd was introduced to nutramigen about this age. (Had to see a dietician first though so don't know how you would go about getting it on prescription otherwise) Although it is foul she now loves it!

Goats milk formula should be illegal to sell but I have seen it in my local health food shop. There are good reasons behind this but unfortunately my memory is not up to relaying what they exactly are!

Soya milk is also not recommended on many fronts as said before.

MatNanPlus Mon 11-Aug-08 23:05:48

CanOfWorms i believe now it has been repackaged by removing the word INFANT it meets EU guidelines which was the problem before, it is a basic formula with none of the additives in the other brands.

canofworms Mon 11-Aug-08 23:08:40

So they repackaged it - not with the word infant on - so that means it's then ok to sell to be given to babies hmm

MatNanPlus Mon 11-Aug-08 23:14:34

Yes, it seems so, the only thing that was needed to be changed, as it seems the EU think infants need chemical additives to thrive.

MatNanPlus Mon 11-Aug-08 23:17:52

If no additives then not proper infant nutrition tho how HIPP got round that i don't know hmm maybe because they don't say complete tis an EU mystery.

canofworms Mon 11-Aug-08 23:21:56

If I remember rightly - and as I said I'm not too sure - it is something to do with the protein chains in goats milk being different to cows milk that meant the department of health (not the EU) banned it. Don't know the significance of this however.

If nanny goat "formula" has no chemical additives in then why not give babies fresh goats milk instead?

canofworms Mon 11-Aug-08 23:27:00

Something else has dawned on me as I'm thinking about goats milk - my dietician told me that as dd has an allergy to cows milk it is also likely she would be allergic to goats milk so to avoid that as well. I did ask if I could introduce it but she turns her nose up at it, prefers the rank taste of Nutramigen!

MatNanPlus Tue 12-Aug-08 07:58:35

Hi CanOfWorms Nanny Care like HIPP has added vitamins but not the immunio wotsits that others add.

And yes Goats Milk is similar to Cows but can work, it depends on the severity of the reaction i believe.

Yes have to agree Nutramigen is rank, even worse when found in the car boot 2 summer days later [yuck]

CantSleepWontSleep Tue 12-Aug-08 09:55:12

Here's the info on the withdrawal of goats' milk formula from the UK, for those who are interested.

NotAnOtter Tue 12-Aug-08 14:21:42

hmm does not really say much - i still love the stuff!

MatNanPlus Tue 12-Aug-08 14:52:30

Ok, Thank You CanOfWorms it made me smile as the carton Aptamil we have says it contains cows milk, FISH and Soya, hmm didn't see FISH listed as acceptable in Infant Formulae.

Like LikeAnOtter current mummy will continue to use it, her DD is thriving and that was not the case when she was using the above mentioned product.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now