Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

no weight gain in 2 months!

(3 Posts)
Lucky13 Wed 06-Aug-08 10:21:44

My dd is almost 9 months old and only weighs around 15lbs (6.8 kg) and has done for the past 2 months. Actually she has lost weight if anything. She has a cows milk protein intolerance and has been BF on a dairy free diet. I don't know whether i should be worried or not?

We've been seeing a dietician, but unfortunately they have now changed and the new one is less than helpful and just made me feel like i didn't feed her properly. DD won't drink neocate no matter how i try and give it to her, so it put some in her food instead. Dietician just says get more neocate into her and more meat.

I don't want to go back and see her as i know she wants me to stop BF. There is only one dietician at our hospital, so i was thinking of going private, but don't know where to start really.

Any advice on her to up her weight or what to do re a dietician would be great.

TIA

wb Wed 06-Aug-08 17:07:27

Hi Lucky,

we had this w. ds1 (allergic to dairy and peanuts). He did drink his hypoallergenic formula but didn't put on any weight b/w 9 and 11 months and today, aged 2.5 is still a skinny little shrimp.

We are quite generous w. cake and chips (done in veg oil) but it has made little difference - he isn't that bothered by food generally although he loves fruit and veg and will eat mounds of carrots or brocoli which obviously helps weight gain not at all (and I'm not prepared to feed him solely on chocolate just to increase his weight)

I spent a lot of time worrying about his weight - this was totally wasted time! If your dd is healthy and active (ds1 was both) then, honestly, I wouldn't worry just cause a line in a red book tells you to. On the other hand, if you are worried then by all means go back to the dietician - there are other hypoallergenic formulaes that don't taste as bad as neonate.

Ladybirdlisa Sat 06-Sep-08 23:26:48

Hello there, it is hard not to worry, especially when they are under a year. I had problems with my daughter not gaining weight at the normal rate, we were told she has some underlying disease and needed lots of tests. We had various tests and it seems she is fine, one of the tests was for gluten intolerance. It can cause soft poo various other symptoms as well as poor weight gain. You could ask your doc if this test would be helpful for your daughter. Gluten is in loads of foods! I now give my daughter goats milk as this is supposed to be good for children with asthma, which my daughter has. Goats milk has much more fat than cows milk and is seemingly easier to digest. Also, this is an age when lots of babies become mobile and my daughter lost all the fat at this age as she was a fast crawler. She is now 2 and a half, still skinny but full f energy, doesn't eat loads but gets what she needs. You could also consult a homeopath for advice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now