Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

rash on 7 week old's cheeks & behind ears

(7 Posts)
Lampi Mon 04-Aug-08 17:29:32

As my 7 week old daughter has dry skin on her forehead and a red rash behind her ears, the doctor prescribed E45 cream to put on her face to clear it up.  After applying it on Friday evening, the rash behind her ears looked even angrier on Saturday and spread to her cheeks. I thought that the E45 could be making it worse (allergic to lanolin?) so didn't use it on Sunday or today.  Today the rash looks the same, not worse, but it's still there.  A friend suggested using oilatum in the bath.  Can anyone else recommend it?   Any suggestions for what could be the cause of the rash and how to clear it up would be much appreciated - thanks.

MrsTicklemouse Mon 04-Aug-08 17:48:02

a friend uses oilatum for DDs ecxma when it flares up

i use kammilosan (nipple cream) for DS2 when he get nappy rash and it clears it in a day (from very sore broken skin) i like it because it seems to really work at the same time as being really gentle

Lampi Tue 05-Aug-08 10:50:37

Thanks for the tip about the nipple cream. I used oilatum in DD's bath last night and the rash around her neck seems to have eased now but it's still looking red around her ears and cheek so I'll make an appointment with the doctor to get it checked, just in case.

DartmoorMama Tue 05-Aug-08 10:54:32

Is it Baby acne? this looks really horrible really angry. My ds had it for about 2-3 weeks at that age, lokk horrible but does clear, we used chamomile based nappy creams just to soothe it.

Lampi Tue 05-Aug-08 12:13:59

I don't think it's acne but it might be. It's tiny little bumps, dry skin and red patches. As the rash only appears on her face, behind her ears and around her neck, I was wondering if it's a reaction to something on the bed sheet ie. an allergy to the washing powder. I use non-bio washing powder with no fabric softener though so it's unlikely. Another reason for the red patches behind her ears may be due to when I'm breast feeding and her little ears get squashed up on my arms. I'll maybe try the nappy cream to see if it soothes it - thanks for the suggestion.

DartmoorMama Tue 05-Aug-08 12:26:34

That sounds like baby acne, just behind ears and neck and a bit on cheeks. Little bumps, red and obviously irritating. Its not the same thing as adult acne. I think its something to do with hormones from breast feeding. I did also find that my son had quite dry flaky skin too on and off, think their skin is in turmoil - guess its all the changes. He was quite peely at various stages.

She is just the right age for it too.

DartmoorMama Tue 05-Aug-08 12:29:54

oh I meant to say that it might have been worse after the E45 because its quite greasy, that and oilatum are full of mineral oils and they don't let you skin breathe well so it can make it all sort of sweaty. I have reactions to a few things like washing powder and various things and find E45 tends to make it worse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now