Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anybody's toddler were a Medic Alert bracelet?

(18 Posts)
bobbybob Fri 11-Feb-05 07:20:47

My ds is allergic to peanuts and eggs. Even more worrying for me is that he is allergic to latex. So if he was taken ill and the ambulance showed up they could revive him only to kill him with their gloves and the mask. He is almost 2.

Has anybody got an allergic toddler with a medic alert - it feels kind of weird getting jewellery for a toddler.

misdee Fri 11-Feb-05 07:34:12

i think medic alert doesnt count as jewellery really. dh had a medic alert necklace, but i need to get him a new one as the chain broke, and also need to re-subscribe. his said 'dilated cardiomyopathy, asthma, on anti coagulants.'

Podmog Fri 11-Feb-05 08:16:36

Message withdrawn

Potty1 Fri 11-Feb-05 09:00:37

Bobbybob - my dd wears one although shes not a toddler! She wears the velcro sports band type so it looks like a sports watch rather than jewellery - and its a funky purple colour!

expatkat Fri 11-Feb-05 09:32:00

My 5 yr old wears one b/c he's allergic to 2 imp. groups of antibiotics. Like potty's dd, he wears a sports band type bracelet. He's only been wearing it for a few weeks now, but in a way I wish he'd had it as a toddler, i.e. I wish we had known about his allergies sooner so we could have prevented his allergic to IV-adminsitered cephalosporins when he had septicaemia between Christmas & New Year. (He was a great hospital and it all turned out fine, though.)

Chandra Fri 11-Feb-05 10:04:32

I would try to get a funky one that he may like. I have also seen some T'shirts saying: Peanuts, no thanks! and similar things. I thought there were good for school day trips, etc. There was an organisation who sell them along with other types of medic alerts. I have seen the leaflet pined at the board of DS's former nursery and thought they were nice, the leters used were similar to those with the "If you think I'm cute you should see my daddy" message that you can find everywhere.

onlyjoking Fri 11-Feb-05 10:11:33

the bracelets sound good where do you get them from, i could do with one cos am allergic to many things latex is a nightmare i hate balloons,am also allergic to nickel so the sos things are no good to me unless i have solid gold/silver anyone able to post a link, the t shirts sound great, can just see me wearing a t shirt with keep your deadly dog away from me, or maybe a piccy of a bloke in a rubber suit with, no thanks i dont do rubber

Potty1 Fri 11-Feb-05 10:30:46

Link for you medicalert

bobbybob Fri 11-Feb-05 18:45:08

Wow, those kids ones are great. They don't have those on the NZ website. Do you need a Doctors letter like in NZ?

Potty1 Fri 11-Feb-05 19:22:40

We didn't need a letter, although we had to give details of dd's consultants etc. Just filled in the form.

bobbybob Sat 12-Feb-05 07:00:58

NZ Medic Alert seem to want to make it as difficult as possible. A little like getting an epipen. Because of the contact phone number and keeping your details thing I am restricted to putting on a bracelet (and that's going to be viable for how long? Until the first kid picks on him), a trip to the doctors, then presumably to a jewellers to get it resized, oh and then he'll grow.

bobbybob Sat 12-Feb-05 07:05:47

Oh and I've tried and failed to send them an email twice now...

ghosty Sat 12-Feb-05 07:06:37

Bobbybob, I am going to the UK in June, could I get one of the funky ones for you maybe??? We could have it delivered to my parents house and I could bring it back to you ....
Or better still, Sibble is going to the UK in April?
Is that too late for you?

bobbybob Sat 12-Feb-05 07:09:29

My parents are coming next week, the problem is that the important part is the details which are kept in the database would be in the UK and not NZ. I am going to get my dad to ring them and find out if that would be okay or what they can suggest. Maybe the two charities could (gasp) talk to each other and I could have a UK band with a NZ database membership. You never know.

ghosty Sat 12-Feb-05 07:11:02

I thought it may be a long shot ....
Hope you get it sorted ....

CER Sat 12-Feb-05 22:17:06

My ds has a watch with his details and a similar emblem on. Same idea as the medicalert bracelets, but by meditag. They have always been very helpful so might be worth contacting them too.

misdee Sat 12-Feb-05 22:18:07

think argos sell something, which u can get engraved with detials of allergy, but doesnt have to be registered with medicalert.

bobbybob Wed 16-Feb-05 17:32:24

Guess what - great big ad in the paper today about the "new" range of toddler and baby velcro medic alerts and a free phone number.

I am going to call and give them a swift kick about their website (and get a catalogue).

For anyone else who may revisit this thread you can get the UK ones sent anywhere in the world.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now