Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How to treat eczema in 2 year old

(21 Posts)
KT12 Sun 03-Aug-08 10:36:58

My DD has eczema in the creases on the back of her legs. No where else. It's been there for a few weeks and she does scratch. Just wondering about ideas to treat it. Thx

mamadiva Sun 03-Aug-08 10:43:54

My 2YO DS has eczema too but not in the same place, I use Aqueious to moisturise him several times a day and to wash him but he gets treated to an E45 bubble bath once a week. I also only use Surcare to wash his clothes and he only wears cotton clothing. Hope something helps here.

giraffescantdancethetango Sun 03-Aug-08 10:44:34

double base cream?

Twinkie1 Sun 03-Aug-08 10:48:29

Aveeno - have you used that - it cured DSs excema and you can get it on prescription - we even use their suncream which is excellent and comes in a spray so you don;t have to rub in just spray and go so you can catch them on the move.

Aqueous cream isn't normally prescribed routinely for excema anymore as lots of kids are allergic to it - my Dr said it is the scourge of skin problems and most certainly made DSs excema worse!

meep Sun 03-Aug-08 10:49:18

Aveeno cream - I am a huge fan! I use it on dd and I use it on me.
She had a horendous dribble induced rash round her mouth and under her chin which turned into eczema - 3 weeks of putting a layer of Aveeno on 3x a day and she is back to babysoft skin again. It is very soothing - and there is a bath oil too.

I can get it on prescription - though there was a thread yesterday about some gp's not prescribing it any more.

Trick is to keep the red areas moisturised - use Surcare for washes - and perhaps an extra rinse on any trousers/pyjamas your ds wears. Steer clear of fabric softener!

Good luck - with me and dd it was a process of elimination as to what creams worked best.

meep Sun 03-Aug-08 10:50:35

sorry - you've got a dd (my pregnancy brain now seems to be kicking in!) grin!

Frizbe Sun 03-Aug-08 10:52:47

Oooh I'm off to get Aveeno then, as we got pescribed oilatum and diprobase for dd2, the diprobase is doing nothing hmm

Bronze Sun 03-Aug-08 10:53:15

Hemp oil is fantastic.

meep Sun 03-Aug-08 10:57:52

there is a nice lavender aveeno cream that I use on me - not the most exciting smell in the world but better than smelling of nothing!

I also sometimes put a couple of drops of lavender oil in the bath for dd (adult sized bath - use much less if a baby bath). It cleared the red patches up and she smelt lovely!

misdee Sun 03-Aug-08 11:05:16

Aveeno and porriage oats in the bath.

beakysmum Sun 03-Aug-08 11:09:13

My Ds has excema on back of his knees too, but he has sensitive skin in general and used to get nappy rash at the drop of a hat and excema elsewhere too sometimes. Very different to his sister!

I have found that swimming in chlorinated water and him getting sweaty behind the knees (eg when he falls asleep in his car seat) are the two worst triggers for his excema. I bath him in Oilatum and use Cetraben cream daily. Both these work in reducing the chance of an outbreak of excema, but don't help once he is raw/ bleeding sad. then I use a prescribed steroid cream which is great.

I also put him on a low dairy diet about 6 months ago. Swore I'd never do it and become a demanding Mum, but I think it does help blush. So soya milk, marg, yogurts, but he's allowed birthday cakes etc.

HTH, its horrible for you and the child

KT12 Sun 03-Aug-08 12:25:15

Thanks everyone for good tips. Bronze, where is the best place to get hemp oil?

barmymamma Thu 07-Aug-08 14:50:46

bronze.... is hemp oil linked to nuts at al? i hesitate using these alterative things just in case. bit ignorantsad.

KT12 Thu 07-Aug-08 19:55:29

How long should it take for Aveeno cream to make a difference? Have been using it since Sunday 2 -3 times a day and so far it has not made any difference???

mum2oneloudbaby Thu 07-Aug-08 20:13:20

i use aveeno bath oil and cream on dd my dr told me to lather 5-6 times a day at the outbreak takes about 5 days to get under control but 2-3 times is sufficient once under control.

Frizbe Fri 08-Aug-08 23:50:54

am trying the Aveeno at the moment, dd2's skin does seem to be getting a bit better in places, we're on day two now, so sticking with it here, its not as bad as it gets with bloomin Diprobase, so this is a good thing smile

poshtottie Mon 11-Aug-08 09:04:53

I have been using purepotions skin salvation and ds eczema is looking so much better. I bought it from a health food shop. Not cheap but worth it.

barmymamma Tue 12-Aug-08 15:05:33

im on the band waggon,lol, and trying aveno on 2nd ds skin? smilewill keep you osted on how we get on xx

ToughDaddy Wed 13-Aug-08 07:22:12

try identifying what allegens are: food, dust mites, pollen etc.

For creams you have Unguentum, diprobase, Epaderm. Epaderm is thick so it stays on for a long tuime. 50:50 cream is quite moist and also stays on for a long time so I prefer to Epaderm.

A GP friend recently told me that he likes Bethnovate RD which is a steroidcream + moisturiser.

But apparently the BIG DADDY for ezcema is Protopic cream!!!! The downside is that it increases the risk ofskin cancer to about the level of an Aussie child. SO best for short bursts when things are getting out of control and keep relevant parts covered up from sun.

poshtottie Wed 13-Aug-08 22:21:15

I have been using purepotions for a week now and ds eczema has improved so much. Its hardly noticable.

barmymamma Wed 20-Aug-08 14:02:49

where can i get info on pure potions? been using aveeno, but noticed that skin actually worse behind knees! maybe it just gets too hot and sweaty there to be moisturised hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now