Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

When to try dairy/gluten

(3 Posts)
Fingerbobs Mon 28-Jul-08 18:55:15

I'd be grateful for any advice from the obviously very clued-up people on here. My ds is 8.5 months and has a tiny bit of excema on his ankles - it started at 4mo whilst he was exclusively bf. I started weaning him at 6mo and he's now happily eating most things.
I've held off gluten but he has had a portion of porridge containing gluten by accident, and also dairy, although he has one formula feed per day. So should I just go the whole hog and give him a bit of toast? And then (at a different point) some cheese? Can anybody tell me why you're supposed to wait until 9 months for these? Or should I wait longer? All I can find is 'wait with these foods until 9-12 months' but I can't really see why not...
Advice appreciated, thanks.
Oh, forgot to say I have horrible, awful, currently v. v. painful excema so would really like to avoid inflicting same on ds, if at all possible.

Turniphead1 Mon 28-Jul-08 19:05:50

I would just go ahead and give it. Start with toast for a week and then try dairy so you can isolate iof there is a skin reaction. Many many children have excema and its not food related. I understand your concerns (I have a DD with both execema and dairy/egg allergy) but there is as much evidence that NOT exposing children to allergens early on can cause allergies as there is for the opposite view.

Where is the 9 month advice contained (genuine Q - my youngest is nearly 3 and that wasn't the advice then, but it changes all the time...)

Fingerbobs Mon 28-Jul-08 19:19:46

That well-known source of medical advice, Annabel Karmel! blush But also I think 'What to expect...', possibly?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now